Pmr563

Audio output surround HDMI

Jump to solution

Latest ultra player connected to new Denon AVR via new high speed HDMI cables. Player set to output DD+. Sound leveling turned off. Get full 5.1 surround playing Amazon Prime Video. Other services like Acorn MHZ Plus and Philo only play in 2.0 stereo. Denon shows receiving DD+ and all 5.1 speakers as active. No sound from center and rear surround speakers. Can’t figure why this is occurring. Not an AVR problem because 5.1 works with other sources and with Amazon Prime played thru Roku. Old Pioneer receiver with optical input from Samsung TV and HDMI from Roku to TV reliably gave 5.1 surround with all Roku apps. Can’t figure out what’s up with current setup. Unless there’s a viable solution just going to give up and live with it. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Audio output surround HDMI

Jump to solution

When using an AVR that supports all the audio codecs, you need to set the Roku audio to Passthrough, not to a specific codec. Don't set it to Auto either. When you have it set as you do the Roku is converting everything to DD+, regardless of the number of channels  actually available. With it set to Passthrough, whatever you are watching will be sent to the AVR as is, which is what you want when using an AVR. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Audio output surround HDMI

Jump to solution

When using an AVR that supports all the audio codecs, you need to set the Roku audio to Passthrough, not to a specific codec. Don't set it to Auto either. When you have it set as you do the Roku is converting everything to DD+, regardless of the number of channels  actually available. With it set to Passthrough, whatever you are watching will be sent to the AVR as is, which is what you want when using an AVR. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.