Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evc1861
Channel Surfer

Adding an external antenna

Problem:  trying to an external digital antenna to Roku streaming.  Equipment involvec:  Vizio TV, Roku streaming, GE digital indoor/outdoor antenna.  Have both Roku remote and GE remotes.

Situation:  according to Roku instructions adding a digital antenna are simple, go to Settings, input, add antenna.  My system screen does not have this option.

Cap

tions taken:  tried updating software; no change;  changed antenna, no result;  contacted Roku support - response was "not their problem,  contact Vizio, go away we are perfect (& probably rudest support team ever); contacted Vizio tv, response was input was controlled by Roku, call Roku; got second remote, no help;  did global search for solutions, no help.

I also tried sacrificing 3 neighborhood children under a full moon, that didn't work either.  Does anyone have any ideas on cracking this input problem?  Please help an old man who can't afford another pay channel.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Adding an external antenna

@Evc1861 

Only a RokuTV ( tv with built-in/integrated Roku) will contain a Settings menu for Antenna/local channels.  (I do not think Vizio ever produced a RokuTV).

If you are using a Roku streaming player connected to your Vizio TV via an HDMI cable, then you need to attach your antenna to the Vizio TV.  Using the Vizio remote (or your GE remote if a universal remote), you will need to enter into the Vizio menu settings and "scan for channels".  

You will also need to use the Vizio remote (or GE remote) to toggle between the Antenna input and the HDMI inputs, as well as to change the channels on your antenna.

The Roku remote will only be interact with your Roku device, and depending on the Roku remote, you may be able to use it to power on/off your Vizio tv as well as the volume if you program it under Settings/Remotes & devices/Remotes/Setup remote for TV Control.

----

Post back with the model number of your Vizio TV as well as the Roku device you have.  You can find the Roku info under Settings/System/About.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Evc1861
Channel Surfer

Re: Adding an external antenna

Hi, sorry I took so long to respond, but I am old and slow.  I have redifined and re-written my problem, so here it is:

Initially my Roku was successfully installed but unable to get local channels.  General advise was to add an indoor antenna since the available streaming software in my area, like Spectrum runs about $200 a month.   My first effort resulted in my tv not recognizing the digital antenna.  By disconnnecting the Roku box, my digital antenna is now  working fine.   Unfortunately the Roku system is not recognized.   When trying to restore my Roku, my tv screen shows the Roku setup program but "freezes" on the second page , select a language.  Despite multiple efforts I am still unable to run both types of inputs on my tv.

My Roku unit is a Roku Express 4K, model 3941K.  My tv is a Vizio D55f-E2.  Using a standard Roku remote, voice activated, which the digital antenna/tv does not recognize while the GE digital antenna is hooked up.  Currently for my Vizio TV using the digital antenna I have a generic remote which the tv recognizes.

My PERSONAL opinion is that there is a conflict between the Roku OS downloaded to the TV and the digital anntenna OS.  I have been told that there is no way to "delete" the tvs connecting programs and reinstall the Roku system.   THOUGHT:  is there a Roku unit designed to accomodate a digital antenna?

I would gratefully accept any guidance since my wife has threaten to kill me if I don't get the tv working again and she also promises to do other  bad things to me.  Please help!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.