Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericrms3

About a 65" onn Roku tv from walmart model #100012587

Sharing my story about a 65" Roku tv purchased at walmart, before this purchase I have never heard of the brand onn in any electronics I am very skeptical about buying any electronics from new brands i've never heard from, that being said I wanted to buy me a new tv larger than my previous sense it had broken down but everywhere I looked they were expensive so I was waiting for a sale opportunity, My birthday was arriving on april 2023 & I was searching for one but my wife didn't want me to pay the high price sense I am very picky and don't buy cheap **bleep** so I kept waiting, then my birthday arrived and my daughter knowing that I was searching for a tv surprised me with a 65" onn Roku tv, I was happy got my large tv and even though i've never heard of the brand onn before it was a gift so I accept it it with love, it broke down short of one month so having still warranty I exchanged it for another one at walmart, sadly two months later the new one broke down and this one has no warranty, we were sitting in the living room and the tv was off it was off all day that day when we realized smoke coming from the bottom of the tv so I immediately unplugged it, I really didn't have time to mess with it and find out what happened but because it happened while it was off I assume something with the power source, I checked it a couple times to see if it will come back on but it didn't, just a black screen and the power light never turned on, about two months later and finishing other projects in the house I decided to open it to see if i can find the problem to see if I see a burned chip in the power source, I know nothing about fixing tvs just a diy'er who researches how to fix thing on youtube, I opened the back panel looked at the power source and noticed a small brown stain on the metal inside the panel,  I thought it was a leak from the ceiling a leak that i thought i repaired and it leaked into the power source circuit and damaged the board, I took out the board to look for a burned chip or something out of the ordinary i couldn't find anything burned but i noticed there were two small batteries and one of them was swollen and we all know if a battery is swollen then is bad but looking closely at the swollen battery i noticed a brown spot under the battery that matched the stain on the metal and it so happens that the stain was right under that swollen battery so I immediately assumed that that battery was the problem with the tv not working, now i'm no expert in welding electronics so i thought about taking the power circuit to an electronic repair guy to have that battery replaced & wonder how much that will cost me but then decided to research the whole circuit board to see how much it will cost, I looked on amazon and ebay and found the exact board on ebay $19.00 and some change free shipping, a couple days later i received the package put the circuit on the tv and what do you know it's working again, I'm ow skeptical about leaving it plugged at night or when i leave the house sense its the same part and i don't want the new part burning when i'm sleeping or leave the house and come back to a burned house. I'll try to upload photos onn roku tv power board 2.jpgonn roku tv power board.jpg

Labels (1)
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: About a 65" onn Roku tv from walmart model #100012587

Nice repair!  Those "batteries" are capacitors and are the weak link in power supply circuits and maybe electronics in general.  You may have been able to replace just that one capacitor and have the old board work again.  onn is Walmart's brand and well... Walmart, but many of the "Roku" TVs made by other manufacturers are made in China with the cheapest possible components.  I wonder how many of these TVs end up in a landfill due to capacitors that cost a few cents to replace.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Vince12

Re: About a 65" onn Roku tv from walmart model #100012587

This is real good information. Thank you

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.