Community discussions

Discover Roku questions and answers directly from the community. Find help, troubleshooting tips, how-tos, and make sure you know the latest announcements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carpentermate
Streaming Star

[Product Discussion] Roku Ultra 4660 vs. Ultra LT

Jump to solution

Hi Gang

I've had two older 4660's (very happy with them), and a problematic Express. I'd like to replace the pesty Express version (also a wireless location), with a low priced Ultra LT 4K/HDR/HD. Upon quick look I see slight differences between my older 4660 and the newer Ultra LT. Using Stats from the HDWR  page, there are two advantages; in that the Ultra LT has 2 GB (vs. 1GB), and ARM Cortex A55 (vs. A53). For the lower price, I'm fine with the Ultra LT being in a seldom used location. Any other observations?

Thank You

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Quick Look > Older 4660 vs. Ultra LT

Jump to solution

Roku built the Ultra LT models specifically for Walmart. That was/is the only store that sold them new. There's no question the 4662 will perform better than your old Express. If you picked it up for a low price, it's certainly a worthwhile upgrade from the Express. But for $35 the Express 4K+ is really tough to beat. It has everything the latest Ultra has other than the USB port and Ethernet connection. I have an Express 4K+ that has never given me any problems. 

The Roku developers site does contain some valuable information about the different hardware, but believe it or not, Wikipedia actually has far more information, and it's pretty accurate from my experience. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
atc98092

Jump to solution

First, let me point out there's two versions of the Ultra LT. One is the 4662 (released Sept 2019), and virtually identical to the 4660 you now have. The other is the 4801 (released Sept 2021), which is a significant change from the 4660. 

The Ultra LT also offers an Ethernet connection, which is important to some users. You will lose the USB port, but that's only useful for playing local media. It doesn't have any other function on the Roku. With the 4801, you also gain MIMO WiFi, which stands for multi-in/multi-out. It means the Roku has multiple WiFi antennas, so potentially can have better WiFi performance. I have the 4800 (the non-LT model, which is a Walmart exclusive), and the WiFi is substantially better than my older Roku devices. 

The final thing I want to point out is the 4801 uses a substantially better CPU than your 4660. It has far more power, and combined with the larger memory storage is a far better performer than the older versions of the Ultra. The 4800/4802 have an even better CPU, but the 4801 is still no slouch. Just be aware that if you find a Ultra LT 4662, it's going to be four years old, even if still sealed in the box. 

Dan

carpentermate
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank You atc98092

Very concise reply! 🤗

It appears the LT I bought could  be the 4801? Although the ad states the unit is a RENEWED model which could also be the older 4660 version? Upon closer examination of the reviews, the comments become more and more doubtful of the quality. Looks like this purchase could  have been a mistake?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Well, if you've already bought one, it will be obvious what the model is once you set it up. Although the box should have the model number on it, as well as it being embossed on the case bottom somewhere. Even if it's a renewed model, it's still possible it's a 4801 and not a 4662. Fingers crossed for you. 🙂

Dan

carpentermate
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hello again atc98092

And thanx for the crossed fingers  ...

I just received it and unfortunately the puzzle of a 'lower price reconditioned' perhaps addresses the issue/question? Its actually a LT model 4662. 😞 I haven't set it up yet and amazon are pretty good at returns ... From your valuable info, I think I'd rather have the potentially better WiFi performance since this one will be located furthest away from the router? However, if its (at least a match to the Express model which received fine when working), then perhaps I'll try it?

Thank you my friend

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

It's going to perform identically to your 4660, as it's the same box with a couple of tweaks specifically to sell in Walmart stores.  All models of the Express (except the Express 4K versions) are single band WiFi, so you at least gain 5 GHz WiFi with the 4662. The only real difference between your 4660 and the new 4662 is the latter does not have a USB port. Both use the ARM Cortex A53 processor and have 1GB of system memory and 512MB of channel storage memory. Everything else appears identical between the two devices. 

Dan

carpentermate
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks Again! 🙂

and ....

With respect to the data listed on the amazon page, they do not exactly specify (your precise specifications), only that its an LT. My Express was a 3900X (which appears to be only 1080 and not 4K), from the specs page.

😗

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Roku built the Ultra LT models specifically for Walmart. That was/is the only store that sold them new. There's no question the 4662 will perform better than your old Express. If you picked it up for a low price, it's certainly a worthwhile upgrade from the Express. But for $35 the Express 4K+ is really tough to beat. It has everything the latest Ultra has other than the USB port and Ethernet connection. I have an Express 4K+ that has never given me any problems. 

The Roku developers site does contain some valuable information about the different hardware, but believe it or not, Wikipedia actually has far more information, and it's pretty accurate from my experience. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison

Dan

carpentermate
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

You Dah Man atc!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Happy to help out. 😄

Dan

0 Kudos