Community discussions

Discover Roku questions and answers directly from the community. Find help, troubleshooting tips, how-tos, and make sure you know the latest announcements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: 💡 OS 13 Announced! Learn more here

You should be able to go into Settings/Home screen and set Recommendation Rows to Hide. For the right side ad, you can highlight it, then try hitting the asterisk key. Unless it is a special sponsored ad, you should have the option to hide it. It will be replaced with another.

0 Kudos
m4p
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the tip about the wallpaper.  Unfortunately, it did not work.  It's bad enough we have the big ad on the right on the home screen, but now we also have ads on the left side of the home screen.  At least some of the stuff we could hide, but not this new ad.  So disgusted with Roku right now.  

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

If you want a home screen without ads,  the Apple TV is your only choice. In addition to Roku, every Android/Google TV device has similar ads.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
m4p
Reel Rookie

Besides 3 Rokus, I also have a Firestick with no ads and I will be using it more than the Roku, and won't be recommending the Roku anymore.  Roku should at least give us the option to turn off the ad box on the lower left side on the Home screen, since we can't control the one on the right.  It's obnoxious and very irritating.

atc98092

I have a Fire TV Cube. The entire user interface is an Amazon ad. You may not think of it that way, but that's what it is. 

Dan

m4p
Reel Rookie

That's too bad.  My Firestick doesn't have ads on the home screen.  I use a different launcher on it that doesn't have ads on the home screen.

0 Kudos
atc98092

It's your launcher that is hiding the ads. They're still there, as they are on every Fire TV device. And every device that uses the Google TV/Android TV operating system (unless someone uses an alternate launcher, which is beyond many users' technical abilities to configure).

Dan

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Roku will never give us the option to turn off the ads that is just wishful thinking. In fact I expect it to get worse as time goes on. All they see is ka-ching! More ad-revenue! It's all about the money for them, not the user experience.

andyross
Roku Guru

I believe Amazon already disabled the ability to auto-start alternative launchers. They are working on their own OS that will be as locked down as Roku.

lcd1701
Reel Rookie

Will OS 13 finally put to bed the same obnoxious commercials that have been plastered on most Roku Live TV channels for the past 6 months for content that hasn't been new for at least that long or longer? It's ridiculous. Particularly that the commercials are louder than the actual program content like old school broadcast TV!

Additionally, the Rich Eisen Show refuses to update the on demand channel after May 22nd both on my TV and the Roku app!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.