Community discussions

Discover Roku questions and answers directly from the community. Find help, troubleshooting tips, how-tos, and make sure you know the latest announcements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

💡 OS 13 Announced! Learn more here

Hello, Streamers!

Roku has announced the next iteration of the Roku OS: Roku OS 13. This update will be rolled out to all supported devices over the upcoming weeks. Once available, you don't need to do anything to get this update, your device will automatically update. 

Read about the exciting new features of Roku OS 13 here, including Backdrops, Roku Smart Picture, an...

What feature are you most excited to check out? Let us know below! ↓

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
Labels (1)
17 REPLIES 17
BollWeevil
Binge Watcher

Re: 💡 OS 13 Announced! Learn more here

I updated my device to Roku OS 13 today.

Not seeing the new features:

backdrops or automatic adjustment to tv settings.

Where can I find these?

RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@BollWeevil wrote:

I updated my device to Roku OS 13 today.

Not seeing the new features:

backdrops or automatic adjustment to tv settings.

Where can I find these?

We're really excited for these features as well. Roku Smart Picture is coming soon to all Roku TV models. Any Roku-branded TV purchased in the spring of 2024 and onward will come with Roku Smart Picture as the default, and those purchased before that date will need to enable it (in picture settings).

Backdrops will be rolling out to Roku-branded TVs and Roku partner TVs in the coming months, with streaming devices at a later date.

In some cases, you will see OS 13 before these two new features are available.

We can't wait!

Happy Streaming!

Emissary35
Roku Guru

I do not want any automatic adjustments to my TV settings. There better be a way to disable these 'features' when they show up, otherwise they will just become annoyances like the home screen rows everyone hated.

0 Kudos
Thristan
Binge Watcher

I don't see any improvement. Action smoothing settings on ROKU 13 still was not changed. Remains aggressive.  

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

I have seen one nasty change. I am now getting an ad on the lower-left of the home screen, below the text menu.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

There were many that had that bottom corner ad even before 13.0. You might not have noticed it before. I spend so little time on the home screen I just ignore them. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@andyross 

Switch to the Nebula wallpaper and the lower left ad should disappear. 

In the past, the lower left ads were reserved for Roku related things (Originals and such) and temporary in nature. (a few days and then went away).  However, I did see ads for both Tubi and Batman being advertised in that space so this may no longer be true.  

Currently there seems to be a little bug right now, so changing to any other wallpaper than the one you are currently using should also temporarily make this ad disappear.

As @atc98092 indicated, I am pretty sure the lower left ads started back in OS10. (there were many wallpapers that did not display this ad, but it has been wittled down to only a couple now).

---

Personally, a couple of still-image ads on the Home Screen don't bother me that much.  As long as they stay small, non-intrusive, and are streaming related (channel and movie related) as opposed to product placement ads (laundry soap and cars), I am ok with it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Dragon_Cro

Bug: after automatic updates to OS 13, Roku Express 4K+ (3941X) has NO AUDIO. How do I roll back the previous version it works fine with previous version? How do I turn off automatic update?

0 Kudos
countrylizzard
Channel Surfer

This is great if only my new roku tv updated to it. When I bought it April 24th it only updated to 12.5.0 My old tv in the living has 13 though. And my previous tv that broke had 12.5.5 GO FIGURE 

0 Kudos
Labels