Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mintakax
Roku Guru

unexpected profile YouTube app

A boarder has been living in our house for 2 months. I have a Roku ultra connected to a home theater system with a projector and AV preamp. Two floors below, in the boarder's room, there is a non-smart TV with an Apple TV box. The boarder watches Youtube on the Apple TV using his personal Youtube login and he has been the only user of the YT app on the Apple TV.

I am the only user of the YouTube app on the Roku Ultra. A few days ago the boarder's YouTube profile showed up, along with my own  on the YT app on the Roku and I can switch between his or my own without logging in to accounts. My YT profile does not show up on the Apple TV.  The only common factor between the AppleTV and Roku is that they are on the same wireless network.

Am I misunderstanding something or does this situation seem  like an obvious security problem with the Roku YT app?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: unexpected profile YouTube app

Create a guest network for your boarder's use, and change your wi-fi password.

OR: Change your wi-fi SSID and password. Create a guest network using your old SSID and password and tell your boarder nothing. But you'll have to check every device on your network and have it forget the old network password and connect to the new SSID.

0 Kudos
mintakax
Roku Guru

Thank you for the work around. I would still like to know if this is a security issue with the Roku YouTube app or if this would be an expected occurrence?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not a workaround. It addresses the security issue you're concerned with. It just happens to be in the network, not the app.

Since the Youtube app on your phone can be used to communicate with the Youtube app on a Roku on the same network, there's no security issue as long as the network is secured. You can use your phone to add an account on the Roku app only when both have been authenticated and connected to the same network. 

0 Kudos
mintakax
Roku Guru

Got it, thanks. That makes sense.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW, if you want to get rid of that other account later, it looks like you can go to the Roku YT app settings and reset it. Then you can log in to a YT app on your phone, and when logging in to the Roku YT app, choose to have it find your phone on the network and there's nothing to type and no QR code to scan.

mintakax
Roku Guru

Oh thank you !!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.