Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mnale
Binge Watcher

Re: POOR YOUTUBE 720P INTERPOLATION UP TO 1080P TV

Thanks Roger...hope this helps (fingers crossed)

0 Kudos
Mnale
Binge Watcher

Re: poor youtube 720p interpolation up to 1080p tv

Here's the latest I've done to prove this issue is caused by my Roku Ultra (and not YouTubeTV)...

As I documented, I've not seen any 720p upscaling issue streaming YouTubeTV to my 2K PC monitor.

So as an additional hardware test, I pulled out my $19 Amazon Fire Tv Stick and hooked it up. Guess what... NO PROBLEMS with YouTubeTV 720P channels on my 1080p TV!

I think that this may be a relative new software issue with Roku because I don't recall it ever being this bad. If anyone would like to confirm my test(s), please do.

And to ROKU, the ball is in your court.

Thanks

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Mnale 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that we are currently investigating the issue you are experiencing.

Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mnale
Binge Watcher

Thanks Danny

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: POOR YOUTUBE 720P INTERPOLATION UP TO 1080P TV

@ROGERCPOST 

Thanks for the post.

It looks like we recently tried to reach out to you regarding the issue you are experiencing. If you need further assistance regarding what are you seeing, please follow up with our contact.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ROGERCPOST
Channel Surfer

Mnale  and RokuDanny-R,

UPDATE

Roku engineering got in touch with me and they have a good handle now on what's causing the issue. It appears it does it when connected to some older 1080 TV's. They are actively seeking a solution, I'll report back when I have more info. 

Roger

Mnale
Binge Watcher

It's odd that they think it has something to do with "older TV's" when we know in fact that the Roku Ultra can display 720p properly no matter what the TV - but only temporarily as outlined in this thread.

ROGERCPOST
Channel Surfer

They did extensive testing on numerous TV's in their lab. It's the format of the final output (as dictated by a TV) that triggers the glitch.

0 Kudos
ryan200
Channel Surfer

issue has been at least since November of 2022, it worked fine before and youtube is fine on everything else.

in the youtube app the following happens:

if i set roku display type to 1080 and watch 720 content on a freshly power cycled roku it's fine till you watch 1080 content then watch something below 720 is now pixelated instead of run through a quality resizer/upscaler. you can still watch 1080 fine but anything below is pixlated.

problem is someone missed a line of code in and update around 11/22 that only seems to happen when the display type is set to 1080, watching 720 content after watching 1080 content.

workaround 1 : buy a 4k tv as it works fine at that display type.

workaround 2: set 720 display type but then everything is 720 or below so gotta decide what you hate more, pixelated 720 or everything 1080 now 720 and below.

workaround 3: don't use a roku

my model roku ultra 4670x bought new in 2019 for $100 with 11.5.0 build 4312-46 youtube 2.22 build 110005090 connected via the integrated 100mbit ethernet on 300mbit internet

i can confirm the delete, unplug, plug in, reinstall and restore to factory defaults don't fix it.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
ryan200
Channel Surfer

Funny thing is could be happening with all other content but how would you know, most pay services you’re not doing under 1080. 

all I watch on my Roku is stuff I pay for and YouTube. 

0 Kudos