Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
animateme
Reel Rookie

Youtube live stream stops after a few seconds

Hi,

Since yesterday I began experiencing the issue of Youtube live stream videos stopping after a few seconds of playing.   The video stops and the autoplay feature launches the next video, as if the live stream had ended.   Specifically, I get this when trying to stream ABC News Live, NBC News Live, Euronews Live, or other similar channels.

I have 3 Roku systems and this issue happens on all 3 of them.  This was not happening before yesterday.  If I try the same Youtube streaming channels on a mobile phone, a tablet or a PC, on the same wifi connection, the streaming videos play fine, without stopping.   The issue is only when playing the videos on the Roku systems.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Youtube live stream stops after a few seconds

@animateme

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
animateme
Reel Rookie

Hello,

Thank you for your response.  I am concerned about removing the Youtube channel as it is my understanding that if I remove it I will not be able to add it back again, due to some legal discrepancies between Roku and Youtube that were announced a few months ago.  Could you please confirm if this is correct or not?    Can I be completely sure that the Youtube channel will be available for me to add it back?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@animateme wrote:

I am concerned about removing the Youtube channel as it is my understanding that if I remove it I will not be able to add it back again, due to some legal discrepancies between Roku and Youtube that were announced a few months ago. ,

That dispute was settled in mid-December 2021.  Since then, YouTubeTV has been available in the Roku Channel Store and can be installed at will.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
animateme
Reel Rookie

Hello,

Thank you again for your response.  It is good to know that the dispute was finally settled.

Today, I tried again streaming the YouTube live video and the issue had gone away, without having to re-install the channel.   Apparently the problem got fixed somehow.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

YouTube is constantly fiddling with their coding.  Like all developers of channel apps for streamers, they then need to update the numerous versions of their device-specific apps (for Roku, Firestick, etc.) and frequently get one or more of them screwed up.  It may then take one or more additional updates to fix the problems.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos

I’ve had this happening to me at random for several months now. I’ve done the suggested delete and reboot and reinstall. It doesn’t fix anything because the issue keeps coming back and coming back. It’s beyond frustrating that they can’t fix this basic issue that’s been going on for a long while now.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jewelie1981

Thanks for the post.

If you are still experiencing an issue after performing a clean re-install, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos