Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Desalonis
Reel Rookie

YouTube playback speed not available

Anyone else still having trouble with the playback speed on the YouTube app on Roku? My YT app is up to date, I even manually checked it. It wasn't there for a while and hasn't been for a while, but it came back like some months ago and went away again. We have a Roku device plugged into our other tv downstairs, and it has the playback speed there just fine, so why does our other tv that's an actual Roku tv not have the playback speed? It's actually kinda frustrating 

9 REPLIES 9
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube playback speed not available

@Desalonis 

It's available for me. I'm running YouTube 2.22 build 105005088

Roku model 9102.

OS version 11.5.0 build 4235-95

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Desalonis
Reel Rookie

@DBDukes 

Yeah like I said we have one tv that has the Roku stick, it has the playback speed. But our other tv, the Roku tv, doesn't. The app is up to date and the tv has been checked for recent updates and it's good. The only two things I can think of is some TV's are just bugged, or maybe our Roku tv is just old. It's only like 3-4 years old maybe, but in so many years for technology, I guess it is kinda old.

DBDukes

@Desalonis wrote:

... The app is up to date and the tv has been checked for recent updates and it's good. ...

That is not good information. That is, it's practically meaningless.

Always provide the exact software version. "Up to date" only means a check for an update didn't get one. But suppose there is an issue with connection to the update server? You'll get "up to date" when you aren't. So never just say "up to date" but instead give exact version. Always.

That said, you may be up to date, but you've provided nothing that confirms that. The exact version, as I provided, does that.

So, if you want to try to run this down, provide good information and we'll do what we can to figure out what's going on. Roku may need to step in, or there may be something on your end that can resolve it.

Perhaps on the device with the issue, 1) remove the app, 2) reboot the Roku (use the menu system; turning a Roku TV off and on again is NOT a reboot), and 3) reinstall the app.

All three steps in that order.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Desalonis
Reel Rookie

@DBDukes 

Well excuse me, I wasn't really aware that saying everything is up to date to my knowledge wasn't efficient information. I don't post about this stuff so I wasn't really thinking that it was that important. THAT BEING SAID, I also didn't know I would need to reboot the TV from the menu, I didn't even know that was an option. I have deleted and reinstalled yt and that didn't work. I reboot it, but it didn't update to the version you have. It's 11.5.0 build 4235-39. Its Hisense model 50R6+.

DBDukes

@Desalonis 

A couple of bits of clarification. While I have 11.5.0 build 4235-95 and you have 11.5.0 build 4235-39 those are the same version. The -xx suffix does mean there is a difference, but for their respective devices, those are effectively the same version, and are the current versions (at least as of last night).

You still haven't said the version of YouTube you are running. Highlight the app, press the Options button, and see what it says. Mine is YouTube 2.22 build 105005088. If yours is an older version, that's the problem.

Also, you stated:

@Desalonis wrote:

... I have deleted and reinstalled yt and that didn't work. I reboot it,...

The order as you stated is not correct. These things are important. Think of it like a recipe. You need to do the "add eggs" before the "bake at 350" part, right? Well, same kind of thing. The order of the steps matters.

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

The order as you reported was 1, 3, 2, not the required 1, 2, 3. Ensure when you reinstall an app, you do it in the 1, 2, 3 order.

Now, that may not make a difference. Something else could be going on that's causing the issue. But this should be completely ruled out first.

DBDukes

Desalonis
Reel Rookie

@DBDukes I didn't say YouTube version bc it was an older version before yours, but I figured if my system wasn't up to date as yours then the yt info didn't matter. Bc one couldn't be updated without my tv being updated. I just did the steps in the order you said and my YouTube is still the same old version it was before, version 2.20 build 93005154. It won't update to a newer.

I'm not the smartest technological person, but I do know a little, and I figured it wasn't to do with stuff not updating, which is why I posted about it in the first place. Not saying it wasn't good to rule it out, but I just figured that wasn't it. Wish it was though cause woulda been an easy peasy simple fix

Xoxoku
Channel Surfer

Same here.

YouTube App [version: 2.20 build 93005154]

ROKU Premiere 4620X [version: 11.5.0 build 4235-29]

This is extremely frustrating considering I pay for premium.  I know it’s not a feature of premium but it should work correctly for people that are paying for app subscription services.  I’m assuming it’s because I have an older device.  Idk but it doesn’t work on my roku TV either

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Xoxoku

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Xoxoku
Channel Surfer

The app is working as it should on all my other devices. It’s only on the Roku platform that people are having this issue.  Also, Google/YouTube does not provide assistance or respond to user feedback and inquiries as I have written to them 3x now regarding this matter.  ROKU could however, reach out them and make them fix it or provide troubleshooting instructions.  There’s no way for us to contact YouTube and you guys know it.