Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glc860k

YouTube TV Pause Issue

While using the YouTube TV app, if I've had a show paused for X amount of time, Roku's screensaver will kick in. When I eventually hit play, the paused show won't start from where I left off, but rather I will be redirected back to the Roku home screen. This didn't used to happen and it's pretty frustrating. Is this happening to anyone else and/or does anyone have a solution? Thank you.

29 REPLIES 29
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: YouTube TV Pause Issue

Testing this I discovered that using some of the "built-in" screensavers resulted in the dysfunctional behavior you described (and worse, it would attempt to install random channels as well after returning to Home) after pushing play/pause.

The following screensavers exhibited the Home/loading other app behavior upon pressing the PLAY/PAUSE button when activated:

Don't use:  Roku City Stroll/Movie Magic, Roku Space, Roku Western, Roku Kids, Roku Nautical, Roku Jungle

The following screensavers functioned normally upon pressing the  PLAY/PAUSE button when activated:

Use:  Roku Digital Clock, Roku Analog Clock, Roku 4K Screensaver, Star Trek Theme Screensaver, Roku Skyline, Roku Aquatic Life (both versions), Roku Logo Rain

(Roku Mobile Screensaver simply locked the Roku up entirely when previewed/set)

So, for now, use a screensaver listed in the second group.

As well, please fill out a bug report:

https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options

lizs
Channel Surfer

I'm having the same problem all of a sudden. Were you able to fix it?

0 Kudos
joe_bern

thanks, man, will try this. My roku tv is just on default settings but this issue of pause cancelling out to home THEN trying to install channels I don't want is quite annoying.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Never use Play/Pause or OK to dismiss a screensaver.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
joe_bern

I had my roku tv on default settings and this was getting very annoying since the last update.  I don't even remember any screen saver, it just goes black. Well I set the digital clock screen saver, found under "settings\system settings\screensaver."  The next time I came back after neglecting it for a few minutes, it just went right back to paused video when I operated the remote.  Thanks, I hope it stays working.  It really seemed like they were just pushing subscription channels at me.

lizs
Channel Surfer

Thanks. I changed my screensaver to the digital clock.  Fixed the problem! Now when I pause and then press play it goes right back to where I left off my show.

0 Kudos
Dsgreen

It’s also started about a month ago for me,have you removed it?

0 Kudos
Gryphonu

I just changed my Screensaver & Theme back to default settings. I NEVER changed them in the first place. Roku & Roku programming are like a controlling love triangle ruining your life... I have discovered 3 options to "resume" a paused program on Youtube TV from the screensaver...NONE of them allow you to actually RESUME your paused Youtube TV program and leave you stranded in different places within the ROKU system.

If I "resume" my paused Youtube TV program by pressing "play/pause" on the screensaver... Roku backs me out of Youtube TV and automatically FORCES me to the "install Roku channel" screen, begging for my PIN...pretty presumptuous Roku, I DON'T WANT OR NEED YOUR CHANNEL, I've CHANGED MY DIGITS. Roku Channel is a bad stalker ex-boyfriend who won't accept the fact, I've moved on to bigger & better things.

If I "resume" my paused Youtube TV program by pressing "OK" on the screensaver to wake Roku & bring me back to my Youtube TV paused program screen, but as soon as I deploy "play/pause" it sits there and loads & loads & loads somemore...forcing me to push the "Home" button and back myself out ANYWAY...Roku is the controlling, manipulative needy boyfriend, insecure about their place in your life, forcing you to give affirmation every 2 seconds that you won't leave them while desperately trying to live your own life.

Or I can just ACCEPT the fact that Roku will NEVER let me live my life and allow me to resume my paused Youtube TV program WITHOUT checking in with Roku first and deploy the "home" button at the screensaver to back me out of Youtube TV without delay to lay it all out to Roku...AGAIN...why we will NEVER have a successful relationship,  EVER again and am about to move on to bigger & better, less controlling & intrusive devices who will respect MY life choices & settings & LET ME LIVE MY LIFE without the constant battle & turmoil in my life. 

It's EXHAUSTING already, Roku, I'm a disabled woman with MS and don't have many choices that are all mine left in this world...I have decided Roku is very much like my MS where Youtube TV is concerned in my life...needing to control EVERYTHING I want to enjoy & do in my life. Just let people use their Roku devices we paid for WITHOUT the obsessive, intrusive, presumptuous programming trying to force my hand into living the life YOU want me to live. 

Sargedog

Mine started doing it a few weeks ago. After reading the suggestions here, I finally found the fix. Mine is go to settings on Roku, then to Theme, finally found screensavers. Changed it to digital clock and that fixed the problem. Good luck.