Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3Manr35u

Re: YouTube Chinese interference

Jump to solution

My youtube news and videos often cut away to a Chinese girl coloring in a coloring book. What is this about?

0 Kudos
Hacked-13
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Also in Oregon border. Have. Complained about this and nothing is ever done. It is not a commercial. It is only the described activities by many on here. No info about it line a commercial would have. It’s stupid. And no response. 

0 Kudos
Hacked-13
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It is not an ad! 

0 Kudos
Daecon
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

In several news articles today the YouTube video cuts to an Asian woman coloring pictures. (Not a commercial) It is actually part of the video. You can rewind it and watch it again and it is still there. It does it for several news agencies. What is happening is stations are spoofing news channels such as you think you are watching fox news and the channel is actually called planting trees. They make you think you are watching a legitimate news story and it isn't.  It is not actually hacking but tricking you into watching their channel. 

Daecon
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

In several news articles today the YouTube video cuts to an Asian woman coloring pictures. (Not a commercial) It is actually part of the video. You can rewind it and watch it again and it is still there. It does it for several news agencies. What is happening is stations are spoofing news channels such as you think you are watching fox news and the channel is actually called planting trees. They make you think you are watching a legitimate news story and it isn't. It is not actually hacking but tricking you into watching their channel. 

SaraNN

Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem now! In the end of my YouTube programs a Chinese girl is coloring pictures! Jeez! 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

They aren't ads. If I post a 20 minute video of a political event I want the public to hear, I don't expect 10 minutes of my video to be eliminated and replaced with someone crocheting and speaking in what sounds like Chinese. I'm not saying that that is what is happening, but it appears that way. If that is what is happening, there is a cause for concern regarding the YouTube platform. This has happened to me on several occasions, but I have not paid attention to who was posting the video. I don't know what is going on. Maybe they are just using a popular video to gain attention to their page. It seems very weird though. 

0 Kudos
benastrada
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So I experienced this too and can confirm that @Daecon has the correct explanation. 

This is due to third party YT channels highjacking a video, giving it an outrageous title so that you'll be drawn to click, then they cut off the news item to some random video of people going about their very boring daily life. 

My advice is if you are wanting to see a CNN or MSNBC or NBC (it seems to be the main targets in my experiencw) just do a search for the channel itself then go to their own video listings to find what you are after.... So boring that YT does not ban these idjits... 

Thanks to Daecon for his explanation! 

Rikkyy

Jump to solution

You say why would China want a democrat government it’s because if Trump gets in he’s got the balls to do something about it he doesn’t mind speaking up to Russia or anybody that’s why I believe the assassination attempt on his life is happening to make sure he doesn’t get in I know this has got nothing to do with crocheting but I pay for YouTube and I still watch it also I hate it

HunyBuny1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

i like your explanation.  Thank you  Yes, if you look below the Headline of the video, you see some random name or person that is apparently the channel owner who hijacked the original video.   If you stay away from these yo-yo individual's videos and go to the news source itself you should be ok.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.