Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rockytopman77
Reel Rookie

Why was the ability to rate channels removed?

The Roku apps I use regularly seem to be getting worse.  These are big name apps & companies and I’ve tried on multiple Roku devices and models.

Why did Roku remove the ability to rate channel apps?   Please, bring back the rating system so users can rate channel apps if they have demonstrable changes in how well they work. 

10 REPLIES 10
6E616D65
Streaming Star

Re: Why was the ability to rate channels removed?

So users can WHAT!

Rockytopman77
Reel Rookie

😬wow. I had to re-read before I noticed that unfortunate autocorrect. I promise I don’t do that to channel apps. Thanks for the heads up. 

Rockytopman77
Reel Rookie

Several channel applications have odd behaviors and contacting the app developers separately has no effect. Paramount+ & Amazon Prime Video apps are clunky because of autoplay functionality even AFTER turning off autoplay in the apps. Crunchyroll scrolls randomly at times like you’re pushing directional buttons when you’re not. These issues occur on more than one Roku device.  I have contacted the developers & besides the canned template response, there is no real effect.  A poor rating on the platform is more likely to make them actually make changes than effectively silent complaints. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@RokuEuniceL-

Perhaps this pre-dates you...

When the options key (*) was pressed on a channel tile on the Roku home page, one of the options presented on the popup context menu USED TO BE "Rate channel" or some similar wording. 

A rating number, presumably based on these ratings, was shown with the channel descriptions before you installed the channel from the channel store.

Roku removed this some months ago.

That is what @Rockytopman77 is asking about.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
ADFREE
Reel Rookie

Why has this not been answered? 
premium YouTube app has issues because of no filters. Search results only show old content from years ago and content that you have already watched. Nothing like looking for something to watch on Hulu, only to see a catalog of movies of on a different subscriber app.. Damm .. the world is nothing but adds for adds . When can you watch or buy something you want with a million suggestions first. So yes rating are needed ! 

0 Kudos
denhow
Roku Guru

When the ability to rate channels was removed my immediate suspicion was that there may have been flagrant misuse of the system. I have no information about what happened here, but I have seen this elsewhere on the Internet.

For example, homophobes and transphobes may have been giving low ratings to channels featuring LGBTQ+ content even though they don't actually even watch those channels. Or racists may have been doing the same for channels with African American content. 

And if this was the reason I wouldn't expect Roku to say much about it.

0 Kudos
ThankYou
Channel Surfer

Or woke lunatics may have been giving low ratings to channels that don't have Trump Derangement Syndrome even though they don't actually watch those channels.

0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

Or how about the obvious, or at least what ought to be obvious?

It was a pointless feature.

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I thought that a star rating without any actual reviews made it a very weak system.  On Amazon, I consider a star rating to be just the beginning.  I look at reviews to get an idea of why people actually don’t like a thing.  Sometimes I learn something. Other times I find reviews to be comical.  Like a one-star review of a product because UPS left it on his porch.  According to the reviewer, UPS had no right to come on to his property and should have left it at the curb. Or a one-star review of a toaster where the reviewer complained that he could find no way to make it region-free.

Another time I saw 12,000 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets for cheap with 4*s.  Turns out about 80% of the reviews were 5*s saying they were wonderful and the rest were one-star reviews that said you got some awful sheets, plus a promise of a gift card worth more than the price you paid if you left a 5* review. 😀

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos