Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
techlady
Reel Rookie

Why does my home screen keep changing?

Dish Network used to be at the top of my Home Screen, as I wished. Now a line of the Roku Channel is across the top, and I have too navigate around it to watch TV. AND, you can't move it using the usual method (highlight the channel, then press *).

This makes me want to get rid of the Roku Channel entirely.

7 REPLIES 7
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Why does my home screen keep changing?

Hi @techlady,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem with moving your channel. What Roku device are you having issues with right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV—specify TV) Have you tried updating your software and restarting your system to see if the feature will resume?

We'll be waiting for your update.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
techlady
Reel Rookie

Eunice,

I have a 2022 TCL TV with Roku built in. When I set it up, I chose the apps I wanted to be visible, putting the link to my TV service, Dish, first.

Everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when a line of squares appeared above the apps I had chosen. It was a line of examples, promoting the Roku Channel. I could not get rid of it the usual way to move apps (highlight and press *). So, there it is, and I have to navigate around it to get to Dish Network. That is very annoying.

Sticking unwanted content in front of customers is not the way to build loyalty. If I could use a different interface for streaming content, I would do it. But with Roku built in, it would be a bit difficult to change (but not impossible). Apparently you think that I am a captive customer, so you can treat me anyway you want.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @techlady,

Thank you for the reply!
We'd like to know more about the concern that you have brought to us. Could you send us a photo of your running problem?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RMR2024

How do we send a picture…it happens “before” we turn it on. It’s not moving like a ghost…We set our apps where we want them and every day when I turn it on…they have moved into a different order.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@RMR2024, do you have an "App Order" setting under Settings->Home screen?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AnnaB3

It’s definitely frustrating when your home screen keeps changing on its own, especially if you’ve spent time setting it up just the way you like it. There could be a few reasons behind this. If you’re using widgets or smart stacks on iOS, sometimes they automatically update or shuffle based on usage patterns, which can make your home screen feel different without you actually changing anything.

Another possibility is if you’ve recently updated your software or installed new apps. Sometimes updates can reset certain settings, or new apps can be added to your home screen automatically, pushing things around. If you’re using an Android device, a third-party launcher or some sort of theme might also be the culprit—some of these have their own rules for arranging icons and widgets, which might not always match up with what you prefer.

If you’ve got a child or someone else using your phone, they might be moving things around without realizing it. Even certain accessibility settings, like “Reduce Motion” or “Smart Invert,” can change the appearance slightly and make it feel like your layout has shifted.

Sometimes, syncing with other devices or a cloud service can cause layouts to change if those devices have a different arrangement, so checking your sync settings might help. It could be a good idea to lock your home screen layout, which some phones allow, to prevent accidental changes. Figuring out the root cause might take a bit of experimenting, but once you do, you can hopefully get back to having your home screen just the way you want it!

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Welcome to the Roku Community, @AnnaB3!

We appreciate you sharing your input about the changes made to your Home screen. We will share this with the team, as your convenience and satisfaction are among our priorities. 

In the meantime, to prevent this from happening to your Home screen, kindly follow the steps provided by one of our Community experts above. (Settings > Home screen > App order)

Your continuous patience and understanding are highly appreciated. 

Warm regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.