Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shigeo

Vimeo on Roku not showing video thumbnails

I installed the Vimeo app/channel on my brand new Roku Ultra LT running the latest Roku software, connected to my LG C1 OLED TV. I successfully logged in but all the video thumbnails aren't showing properly--instead just showing a color bar pattern. Despite that I'm able to play the videos. Anyone else seeing this or know how to get the thumbnails to show properly?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
davidjazz
Roku Guru

Re: Vimeo on Roku not showing video thumbnails

This has been an issue since fall of 2021 when I contacted Vimeo and received this message:

Recently, our engineers implemented an update to increase the security of video and image assets on Vimeo, including thumbnail images. Unfortunately, this had the unintended effect of preventing video thumbnails from appearing for some Roku Vimeo app users like yourself. As mentioned, our engineers are working to address this issue. However, since Roku is a third party device that requires additional approval and testing ahead of updates released to customers, this process may take some time. We do not have a target date for when this will be completed, but we will release an update as soon as it’s available. We apologize for this inconvenience and are happy to provide any other assistance needed.

It's obviously not a priority with them.

davidjazz
Roku Guru

Just got this "update" from Vimeo:

Thanks for checking in. This is still an issue our developers are working on.
We'll reach out again when the issue has been resolved.

TVChannelDevel
Binge Watcher

Still same issue. I am running Roku OS 11.5 on a 4640X Ultra and Vimeo.  Emailed Vimeo and they are looking at it.

vimeo-thumbnails.jpg

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @TVChannelDevel 

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you're experiencing? What are the troubleshooting steps you've tried? Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Darkstarr810
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue as the person you are responding to. Vimeo does not load the video thumbnails on the RokuTV Vimeo app. All that you see are the color bars as shown in the photo that was posted. 

There are no troubleshooting options in the app. You only have the options to logout or quit and the * key on the remote does nothing. 

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Darkstarr810

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Does the issue only occur on Vimeo App or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected channel Vimeo App and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Darkstarr810
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply! This is an issue only on RokuTVs as far as I’m aware. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn’t fix this issue. I own a number of RokuTVs and it’s been a consistent problem for a while on every one of them. It’s not the particular install of the app, the app itself does not load video thumbnails. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hello @Darkstarr810 

Thanks for the follow up regarding thumbnails not loading on the Vimeo channel.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lupin3
Reel Rookie

As of 06/24/2023 the thumbnails still do not display correctly . They still only show the vertical video bars as mentioned above.   I have reset the app. I deleted and reloaded the app. i started and restarted the Roku to no avail.   Roku says it is Vimeo's fault.  Vimeo says it is Roku's fault.  

I say I give up.    Shame on both of you.   

There is a notice saying that "legacy" apps will no longer be supported after 6/27/2023 and we should stream through iOS or some other service.   You're loss.

0 Kudos