Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KLance71

The subtitles disappear when I hit pause on a show on Hulu on my Roku device

I watch a lot of K-dramas with subtitles on Hulu. I'm not a quick reader, so I often pause the show to read the subtitles. But a couple of weeks ago, when I paused the show the subtitles disappeared but returned when I pressed play.  So now I can't enjoy or watch the K-dramas anymore on Hulu. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: The subtitles disappear when I hit pause on a show on Hulu on my Roku device

You need to contact Hulu.  That's not how subtitles work by default in the Roku "OS", so I suspect they are doing something non-standard with their app.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Jean-Chicago
Reel Rookie

Re: The subtitles disappear when I hit pause on a show on Hulu on my Roku device

I noticed the same thing.  When I pause Roku while watching a K-Drama on Hulu, there is an overlay over the subtitles showing rewind, play, fast forward symbols totally blocking the subtitles.  It seems to be unique to Hulu, so it may be some kind of programming glitch between Roku and Hulu.  Will need to search further to see if anyone has found a solution or follow-up with both Roku and Hulu on the issue.  I have Hulu with ads which is HORRIBLE.  They are too long (2 minutes) and too frequent in comparison to a free streaming tool like TUBI which also has ads (maybe 30 seconds and far less frequent).  There are no problems with the pause on TUBI, NETFLIX, KOCAWA and subtitles still being displayed.  Hulu is also frustrating because it doesn't rewind as quickly as other streaming apps.  So the overall problems seems like it might fall with Hulu.  

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.