Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StarRider
Reel Rookie

The Roku Channel on Amazon Fire Stick with Closed Caption not turning off.

Installed The Roku Channel on Amazon Fire Stick and set the Caption mode to OFF. However, some of the channels are still showing the closed caption. When I look at the channel information and see that it's still has closed caption on, I'm unable to move over to CC and turn it off. I am able to it off when I'm on the website.

App info:

• App Version: 1.0063
  • Build Date: 01/07/22
  • Client Version: b4ef230

Any help is apricated.

16 REPLIES 16
Yendis

Re: The Roku Channel on Amazon Fire Stick with Closed Caption not turning off.

Me too , using fire stick and want to turn off captions on roku channel 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Yendis 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What specific content are you seeing this issue occur with? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue and what are the steps to reproduce the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
andymrmoto
Reel Rookie

I'm watching Forensic Files on the Roku channel on a Firestick. I can't find a way to stop closed captioning 

I found the settings to change the appearance but no way to turn them off. 

StarRider
Reel Rookie

WOW! Your just now getting to this????? I posted this over a year ago and didn't get any answer. 

I'm no longer using the firestick. However, it looks like other people are having the same problem. 

I just want to know what part of NOT being able to TURN OFF closed caption don't you understand. Maybe if you got onto a firestick and tried yourself, maybe you will understand.

I've been having the same issue with the Roku app on the Firestick. I guess it doesn't appear to be a high priority thing for Roku. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts.

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

In the meantime, does this issue happen on all content on The Roku Channel or can you provide specific titles that this occurs? In addition, does this happen on Live channels or Videos on Demand? Lastly, can you provide more information about the streaming device and The Roku Channel app information under settings?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Just_JP
Reel Rookie

Closed Captioning on Roku app for Firestick will not turn off on Roku live TV section

I have added the Roku Channel to my firestick. Because I am using a Firestick remote, the Roku star key * is not an option. and the three lines key on the Fire remote does nothing. I have gone to Roku settings, there is not one to turn CC completely off there. I tried to modify the CC display to make it as unobtrusive as possible, but it will not accept the changes.  I even uninstalled the app and reinstalled and CC is STILL there. 

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Closed Captioning on Roku app for Firestick will not turn off on Roku live TV section

Hi @Just_JP

Welcome to the Roku Community!

If the closed captioning on the Roku app for Firestick will not turn off on the Roku live TV section, here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

• Make sure that closed captioning is turned off on your Firestick device. You can check this by going to the Firestick home screen, selecting Settings, selecting Accessibility, and then making sure that Closed Captioning is turned off.
  • Check the settings within the Roku app itself. In the Roku app, go to the Settings menu, then select Accessibility. Make sure that Closed Captioning is turned off here as well.
  • If the issue persists, try force-closing the Roku app and then reopening it. To force close the app, go to the Firestick home screen, navigate to the Roku app, and press the Options button on your Firestick remote. From there, select "Close" and then reopen the app.
  • If the issue still persists, try uninstalling and reinstalling the Roku app. To uninstall the app, go to the Firestick home screen, navigate to the Roku app, press and hold the Options button on your Firestick remote, and then select "Uninstall." Then reinstall the app from the Amazon Appstore.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

Just_JP
Reel Rookie

Re: Closed Captioning on Roku app for Firestick will not turn off on Roku live TV section

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I had already done all of those steps before starting this thread.