Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdsull
Reel Rookie

Spectrum screen goes black but can still see channel list ?

When using Spectrum app on Roku  (either ultra or stick) the screen will go black, but you can get the All Channels guide to come up. 

any ideas why ? Again only seeing on Spectrum app. 

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
mitewot
Reel Rookie

Re: Spectrum screen goes black but can still see channel list ?

Same issue with me and Spectrum app. Just randomly goes black and I have to change channels to restore the connection. Charter is saying they are looking into it, but I don’t believe them. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello @mdsull @mitewot 

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reporting this problem with the Spectrum channel, and we can be of assistance.

Let's test whether using a mobile hotspot to access it makes a difference. However, if the issue continues, kindly return here so that we can investigate further.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
paul31
Reel Rookie

I have a Roku Ultra (wired) and a basic Roku. both have this issue. Spectrum tested signal levels. I reloaded the Spectrum app and got a new cable modem.  I am still having this problem.

0 Kudos
Binge Watcher

I have 3 TVs with Rokus and on ALL 3 with Spectrum Cable, while watching something the screen will go black.  I hit the right arrow to the channel list press enter (to go back to the same channel that went black) and everything is OK.....for a while.

This problem happens on ALL 3 TVs no matter what channel I'm watching.

Funny thing is that my other TV has a Firestick and it does NOT have this Black Screen Issue.

Reminds me of the old days when I was a cable tv manager and we could send a kill "bullet" signal to a hacked box and it would disable it.....I'm thinking it's some BS that Spectrum may be playing since they have come out with their own Roku type of box......Or is Roku trying to get me to upgrade my Box????

Hopefully a Spectrum tech will see this and respond.....

0 Kudos
JeromeR1

same here. It's so annoying. And Spectrum keeps saying they are looking into it

Binge Watcher

I really do think that Spectrum is behind it.....they want you to purchase their Xumo Stream Box.

If I had the time and $ I would get a spectrum analyzer and record the system and view the data afterwards.

I guess the first thing I should do is to have at least 2 TVs on and wait for this to happen to verify it's hitting all rokus at the same time......

One annoyance I wish Roku would restore is a while ago, if you scanned through the guide up or down in channel, it would smoothly and somewhat quickly go through the channels and you could see what numbers were going by.  Now if I hit up or down it will sit there then zoom channels go by so fast you have to stop and click one by one to get to the right channel....

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community Users,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your streaming problem with Spectrum on your Roku devices. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then reinstalling it may help. Please follow the steps below:

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star (*) button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  2. Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System Restart (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the affected channel again.

Let us know if this works for you!
Best regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mdsull
Reel Rookie

I have the Roku ultra on Ethernet and stick is using WiFi. Both do it. 

Spectrum response is my cable modem is slow (SB6183) spec for 500 MBS and should not be a problem at 300 MBS. 
Tech also said I should reboot modem (typical IT — turn it off and on response). 

No change still goes blank intermittently

delete and reinstall app  (see IT comment above). 

0 Kudos
Binge Watcher

Delete and Re-Install???  That's BS!

So I have to do this on ALL 5 TVs and 3 phones?

My FireTV doesn't have this problem.....LOOKS very suspicious of Spectrum! (Unless Roku is trying to get me to buy new devices!)