Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shakana
Channel Surfer

Sling not working on my Roku Ultra

I am using a Roku Ultra. When I select the Sling channel, I get the following message: 

Sling needs a software update to proceed. Please press the home key, then go to settings...

I followed the instructions to get a software update but no software update is available and I have confirmed that I have the latest software.

I then do the following:

1. Restart my Roku device

2. Remove and reinstall the channel

3. Unplug my Roku device and restarted it.

4. Reset my Roku device to factory settings.

None of this works. Other channels are working and Slink works on my Roku Streaming stick.

Any ideas?

25 REPLIES 25
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Sling not working on my Roku Ultra

@shakana 

Your second and third steps are in mixed order. Focusing on just that, those actions should be:

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

Your list shows you did 1, 3, 2. Gotta be 1, 2, 3. Now I don't know if this will make a difference, but since you tried to accomplish that, you should do it in that order.

With that, you shouldn't have to an update. But I will offer this about updates. Going through the menu system should do an update (if available) for the device, and for the apps on the device. But, you can do a single app by going to the app, hitting the Options button, and selecting Check for updates.

I don't know if that will make a difference, but again, something to check.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
shakana
Channel Surfer

Tried to remove the app, reboot roku and add the app back. That didn't work.

Tried updated just the app. That did not work either.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DBDukes

@shakana 

What model number is the Ultra? Settings > System > About

Also, Software version and build?

Does your Ultra have a microSD card inserted? Not all models support microSD card, hence a reason for the model number question. If it has a microSD cart, remove it.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
shakana
Channel Surfer

@DBDukes No. SD Card is inserted.

Model Number: 4801RW - Roku Ultra

Software Version: 10.51 build 4066-DE

DBDukes

@shakana 

Just for clarity of others, the Rich Text editor got you, and "No SD card is inserted" was changed to two sentences, changing the meaning. But I understand you to say there is not a microSD card. The model number confirms that, as the 4801 does not support microSD cards.

I was actually hoping that was the issue, because the fix is easy. But, alas, we're still trying to figure it out.

Are you using Air TV? I'm trying to think of anything else that can tie into Sling to potentially be a source of a problem. Air TV integrates into Sling, so I'm wanting to rule that out.

And just to be clear, after you reinstall Sling, then launch it, does it immediately give you the message, or does it let you log in before you get the message?

DBDukes

0 Kudos
shakana
Channel Surfer

@DBDukes 

I am not using AirTV.

When I select the Sling TV app, it doesn't ask for my credentials, so I get the error message as soon as I start the app.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@shakana 

This is a puzzler. Looking back over things to see what might have been missed, one thing is sticking out. May not lead to anything, but we're trying to close off all avenues that don't work to find what does.

Your first post says you're getting a message, and that you are following the instructions.

@shakana wrote:

I am using a Roku Ultra. When I select the Sling channel, I get the following message: 

Sling needs a software update to proceed. Please press the home key, then go to settings...

I followed the instructions ...

Is it possible to NOT follow the instructions? That is, do you have an OK or CONTINUE or some other button or way to proceed? I'm wondering if the message is the glitch, and skipping past it resolves the glitch and everything works. Is that a possibility? Is there a way to close, ignore, or otherwise bypass the message and proceed?

Along that line, can you post a photo of the message. The entire TV screen would be helpful, if you can post that.

Again, just walking through everything and trying to see what might be possible.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
MP2022
Channel Surfer

I had tried steps as well on my Ultra LT w no success.  System updates for both Roku and Sling are "up to date".  Tried removing Sling app, rebooted Roku device, Re loaded Sling app and same message.  Sling is working on other devices to seems specific to Roku devices.  I've attached the error message.

0966287C-D1B8-4942-A31A-C6D124AD319C.jpeg

Seems like Roku and sling should talk with other to see what is needed.  Sling works on other devices and my other apps are working fine on my Ultra LT.

MP2022
Channel Surfer

Additionally, my Roku software version is 10.5.1 , build 4066-DE.