Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Susan0203
Reel Rookie

Re: SiriusXM shuts off after 20 minutes

Jump to solution

400 responses regarding this issue in the community forum and Roku still has not fixed the issue. It worked fine before the update and not all Roku devices have the timer setting that was referenced. Roku simply needs to go back to whatever it was using prior to the update, so that Sirius users are not affected. 

elliedale9
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Susan0203 wrote:

400 responses regarding this issue in the community forum and Roku still has not fixed the issue. It worked fine before the update and not all Roku devices have the timer setting that was referenced. Roku simply needs to go back to whatever it was using prior to the update, so that Sirius users are not affected. 

For the 8000000th time, it's not a Roku problem. It's a Sirius problem. The problem started when Sirius released its new build. Sirius wrote the code for that build, not Roku. (Roku is at fault in a different way, for not putting enough pressure on to fix the problem. Roku is also at fault for leaving us hanging here despite promising updates and promising to monitor this forum.)

jpauquet
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem as everybody else. After my TCL TV updated in mid May the Sirius XM app won't play for more than 20-25 minutes at a time. The new app is really slow, my favorites disappeared, and it doesn't log my listening history. After about 20-25 minutes of listening the app exists to the TV home screen. There is no error message.

I have tried uninstalling. I have tried logging out. I have tried contacting Sirius XM tech support (which was worthless). Nothing is working. This has been going on for a long time now. I am going to cancel my Sirius service since I primarily listen at home and rarely drive. I'm also going to buy a different brand of smart TV next time I'm in the market for one since Roku doesn't seem invested in helping its customers either.

CrimsonLynx
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku TV 8121X

TCL Model: 32S331   

S/N: YKOOY2173466 

Device ID: NPNO6Y173466

Software: 11.0.0 Build 4193-48

SiriusXM app 2.5 Build 34

Tracker ID: 66-245-992

0 Kudos
Waterbug
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Having this same issue...only on Sirius app on Roku TV and only since last Roku update.  Sirius on phone app and in car are both fine.  Pandora and Spotify on Roku TV both work fine.  Please get a fix for Roku update problem and send out patch!!!  Or give option to reverse last update.  

HAL9000_Y2K_VER
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@Smooch 

Short answer:  see third paragraph

There may or may not be problem with SiriusXM's memory management.  With the theory that something is consuming too much memory before SiriusXM is launched, I considered removing channels from Roku.  However, these icons should normally only consume minimal amounts of memory.  If you launch XM but select no channels to play, it will sit and wait for hours without crashing.  If you launch XM, select channel 27 for example and after 19 minutes, back out and select another channel briefly and then back out of that channel and select 27 again, XM does not crash as long you change channels on time.  I tested this in five cycles with no crash until I was late on the last 19 minutes and it crashed because it only consumes whatever it needs while playing a channel until it hits a limit.  It releases that resource when you exit that specific XM channel.  This theory explains why you can play channels where the show length equals the track length on high numbered channels.   It does not exhaust whatever resource it needs on shorter timeframe channels.  I am guessing XM is trying to buffer the audio for fast-forward and rewind.       

There have been multiple universal suggestions of turn everything off/on and cross your fingers.  However, I didn't see any reference about logging out of Roku and starting over.  There's a reason no one suggested that.  Such an option does not exist per se.  You can do a factory reset which will dissociate your device from your Roku account and possibly delete some data from your account.  If you have only one device, it might delete your account.  I have 3 devices each with the timeout feature.  When you remove a channel from one device, it is also deleted from any other devices for the same account.  Manually removing channels would be tedious so I went with the easy path.    

The factory reset for the 3800X fixed the timeout issue.  Post reset, XM ran for 1.5 hours before crashing out.  I do not know if this workaround will fix my 3930X or 3900R.   Your mileage may vary.  This reset on TVs might delete more than you prefer.   See below for reset doc,

https://support.roku.com/article/208757008

Some exception condition may have occurred on at least one device on my account—and others--in the last 4 years that corrupted either my profile stored on Roku servers or some other data stored locally on the 3800x et al.  Currently some process within Roku-land has to tell the application program how much memory is available so that it does not crash.  I am presuming SiriusXM app was given incorrect data and relied on this data to our detriment.  Defensive programming on SiriusXM’s part would be to double check the memory available before it begins playing one of it's channels.  If the SiriusXM app were already testing for available memory, my reset would not have changed the outcome.      

For the future, QA should not test with a clean Roku device with only the channel they are working on.  Instead, the device should have a longer history of use so that it can retain corrupted data caused by Roku bugs that were never cleaned up.  

This exposure to corruption is why Roku cannot reproduce the error.  Roku could verify that the memory calculation value sent to the channel provider is accurate.   By default, the current SiriusXM code rudely finds the problem.  No SiriusXM code was modified for this workaround so XM may be more innocent than Roku.        

Edit:  added link to factory reset

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,
Thanks for continuing to share what you're observing. 
We are currently aware and our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely.
In the meantime, please help us with the required details below for us to send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team, and once more information is available I'll be sure to let the Community know:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-what are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue or error message
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
Please be aware that we are actively monitoring and investigating the discussions on this thread. Thanks again for your continued patience.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
HAL9000_Y2K_VER
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Factory reset workaround of 3800 now failed.  Device has regressed back to pre-reset behavior.  XM crashes at 34 minutes.  At around 33 minutes, buffering circle appears and audio cuts in and out.  Remote is unresponsive to exit channel 27 and at 34 minutes, XM terminates and returns to Roku.  Logging out of XM after a crash and re-launching XM still results in crash at 34 minutes.  Other non reset devices were not factory reset yet but were powered on after successful 3800 testing.  

I suspect there is corrupted data associated with the 3930X/R and 3900X/R that affects the 3800X/R.  I will unplug the 3930 and 3900 and do another factory reset of the 3800 and retest without powering the other devices

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that we are currently investigating this issue with the channel partner. Once more information is available, we will be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
HAL9000_Y2K_VER
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

With the 3900 and 3930 unpowered, the 3800 ran 4.5 hours and the screen locked up somewhere near the end but audio was normal.  Teminated XM to start the factory reset of 3930.  Launched SiriusXM and then signed out for the next test.  Relaunched SiriusXM.  Performed factory reset of 3930, activated device, launched Sling and selected CNN.  11 minutes later XM crashed back to Roku.  Sling not affected.  Bandwidth is not a limitation.  Ookla speed test through Wifi was ~350 Mbs.   Roku shows Good Internet download speeds on all devices with 3800 connected to fastest channel.  3900 now factory reset and re-activated.  

Next test will be with XM launched on the 3800 after all devices factory reset.  From testing already, XM can run for hours by itself.  Test with Roku connected with three devices but only XM launched.  XM ran 46 minutes and crashed back to Roku.  Repeated test and XM ran for 60 minutes and crashed back to Roku.   Test with XM and Sling launched. Re-launched XM, sign out of XM, exit to Roku, re-launch XM at 10:07, turn on TV using Roku 3900, CNN is still running inside Roku from yesterday.  This continuing run of Sling may explain why XM can’t run with another device on same network for the same account.  This interference is not acceptable.  I am sure that if I open a new Roku account with a distinct email ID that XM would be able to run on a Roku device for hours—just as it did yesterday when the other two Roku devices were unpowered.  Establishing a unique Roku account is not a practical solution to this XM problem. 

I have two routers.  Router 1 is connected to external fiber network and has Wifi turned off.  Router 2 is hardwired to Router 1 via Ethernet cable and has Wifi turned on.   i.e., Router 1 is invisible.  When I turn Wifi for Router 1 on and force Roku device to use Router 1’s name, Roku connects to Router 1.  Launch XM from Roku 3800 connected to Router 1.   Sling was running on 3930 device playing CNBC for several hours. Allow Sling to continue.  Sling is connected to Router 1 and XM is connected to Router 2.   Both are 2.4GHz but happen to use different channels so there should be no radio frequency contention.

Concurrently, XM has been running for 2.5 hours without crashing.  I will let it run until it crashes so I can capture the “report tracker”.

However, XM screen was locked up at 2 hours and the remote cannot change anything on the screen. Audio output is normal.  I don’t know when this lockup starts since that would require constant attention for the entire session.  During lockup, one can hear the feedback clicks as the remote arrows are being pressed.  Pressing the back button several times, the exit warning is presented.  Cancel the exit.  Now the “cursor” will be on the top of the previous screen which you cannot see because XM is lost.  If you know the navigation from memory, you can press the down arrow twice to get down to the row of channels in favorites—which was the screen from which the channel was selected.  If you press the “OK” button, you will select the channel that is the first row and first column in the array of channels on this hidden page.  XM will exit the current channel and start this new channel.   XM is still lost so the up down arrows do not change anything on the screen. 

What does this testing prove?

1.  XM is not managing contention on the same channel as another device using the same channel for its meager data volume requirements.  Data volume for video would be more of a stress test for channel contention than an audio streaming app such as XM.  Sling virtually never crashes when two Roku devices are concurrently streaming on the same router channel.
  2. XM gets lost even when it is not sharing a Wifi channel with any other device since Router 2 is unknown to any other device except the Roku 3930. 
  3. Factory reset may have extended the streaming time slightly. 
  4. Customers who do not have a channel available for a SiriusXM Roku dedicated device or a spare email ID have no workaround.   
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.