Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2ka
Streaming Star

Re: Severe color/contrast distortion while Plex-streaming HEVC+EAC3 videos.

@uncletim,

The answer is that every X265 file will play fine as long as the color info is removed, and it is Direct Played.  But if the original file contains only audio that is incompatible with either the Roku or your playback equipment, the Plex server will remultiplex the streams into a new MKV container, and add the color info back in!  So the red comes back.

In order to fix this, you need to add AC3 audio (for surround sound) and/or AAC stereo (not 3.0) to your files.  This will make it so they will Direct Play.  As I said earlier, there is no need to delete your current audio tracks, just add the new ones.

If your are using Handbrake to compress your videos, it is easy to add the additional audio tracks in when you compress them.  You can use a tool like ffmpeg to add the additional audio after the fact.  I think Recompress also has an option to do it, although I haven't used it personally.

0 Kudos
uncletim
Binge Watcher

@2ka 

I wouldn't want to use handbrake to compress the files really. I get it now, just seems a bit too much. would be easier to just buy a Shield if I was here full time. 

I might consider adding extra audio tracks if it was easy, we will see. thanks

0 Kudos
1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

X Media recode is a really easy way to batch re-encode audio only while copying the videos (just make sure Sync audio/video is unchecked because it does the opposite for me... If that's checked,a perfectly synd'd audio file will  be around 200ms - or + out of sync... Most of my files are either AAC or AC3 stereo now or AC3 multi channel (all direct plays).. I'm not an audiophile, but I did use a high bitrate since I'm re-encoding audio.. as anything re-encoded loses more quality... but with a higher bitrate it's not noticeable.

All my files pretty much work now and Roku ultra will not try to direct stream them as long as I have the correct settings in Roku..

If I do come across red files I know what to do now so I'll just fix them... 

Maybe soon we will hear that Roku has fixed this bug but after this long I wouldn't hold my breath

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Roku Community users,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community regarding the issue you are experiencing with playback issues while streaming with Plex.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but we will need more detailed information. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
  • would you be willing to provide us a sample that you are experiencing this issue with so we can try to replicate the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. We look forward to hearing back from each of you in.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
uncletim
Binge Watcher

Does OS 12 do anything for this?

0 Kudos
DNL411
Channel Surfer

This issue started for me with Roku OS 11.5 and is finally fixed.  

I recently upgraded my Plex Server from Windows to Ubuntu and updated my Roku Ultra 2020 to Roku OS 12.

I don't know which of the above fixed the severe contrast issue but it's now gone.

0 Kudos
calbear88
Channel Surfer

I had the issue for a while, but with the Roku OS 12 upgrade, it seems to have been resolved as well

0 Kudos
uncletim
Binge Watcher

Good news, can't seem to get OS 12 on my 4802, did a factory reset and still 11.5

I'll pickup a 4k stick to bring with me on extended international trip. I assume the 4k stick had this issue also. 

0 Kudos
calbear88
Channel Surfer

I have three Roku 4800 device, and one of them received the update to version 12, but the other two are still running 11.5.  I think Roku rolls out updates gradually to reduce the impact of any bugs introduced by software updates, and the exact same model device will receive updates at different times.  I have been manually checking for updates daily, hoping the other two devices will update soon. 

0 Kudos
EOC_Jason
Reel Rookie

Good to see that maybe they finally fixed the issue after all these years. I returned my roku back in November and never looked back.

I ended up getting one of walmart's "new model" Onn 4k streaming boxes (less than $20) and have been enjoying it daily. The Plex player works great with all my x265 media, direct plays everything that Roku wanted to transcode. It's android based so basically the google play store is your playground. There's no advertising like streaming boxes, just a clean and simple interface.

0 Kudos