Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thanosazlin
Reel Rookie

Re: Severe color/contrast distortion while Plex-streaming HEVC+EAC3 videos.

i saw this a while back but was hoping Roku would fix instead, also i'm a programming too 🙂 . I just tried it the cmd seemed to work fine. I took a copy of my video file before hand to have an original.

The file is being analyzed.
The changes are written to the file.
Done.

and tested in my Roku 4800x and still same red tint issue.

Also, something i found weird, so we now live in 2 different states, so in our home where the plex server is , that is where i have the issue of red tint on this video and some others,  it's a Samsung QLED 4k HDR 85 inch TV with a Roku 4800X 4k Ultra... in the other state where we have a 2nd home i have an LG OLED 65 inch 4k HDR TV with same Roku 4800X 4k Ultra.. when i play this same video file on the LG and 4800 , remotely, guess what there is no red tint !!! 🙂  , my assumption is that plex is doing some re-transcoding or what not since I'm watching the video remotely , remember the plex server is at our home in another state.. but when ever i try and watch the video "locally" in my home on the Samsung TV and Roku 4800 it has the Red tint.. this is puzzling..

never the less this running the cmd to alter the mkv as you mentioned didn't help me, i'm up for any other ideas as this point 🙂 ?  it's a PIA to have to spend time fixing mkv files but if i find something that can fix mine i will be willing to do it at this point.

0 Kudos
Thanosazlin
Reel Rookie

ok so i finally broke down and tried using HandBrake and VLC Media Player, both allow you to convert mkv files to mp4 , which changes the HEVC-5 encoding back to HEVC-4.. that seemed to resolve my issue i just replied about. I'll just have to do that i guess :). what a PIA thanks Roku

0 Kudos
2ka
Streaming Star

Hi @Thanosazlin,

Unfortunately, the conversion to MP4 container isn't foolproof either.  The red will still come back if Plex remuxes for any reason.  You can try this yourself by just turning off Direct Play in the player settings.

As I said earlier, the most common reason this happens is after transcoding AAC surround sound, which can't be played on Roku directly.  Whenever Plex remuxes the stream, it will repackage in an MKV container, complete with the bug-triggering color info in the header.

0 Kudos
1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

The conversion to mp4 (if you used handbrake, you're RE-ENCODING) which is totally unnecessary... All you need to do is remux the mkv into an mp4 container...

This is really works great as long as it direct plays... and it will direct play as long as the settings in the Players are correct... In my cast, Roku Ultra (2 of them) and I have both settings the same and I have never ran into an issue where Plex remuxes it (but my setup isn't elaborate at all)

Here at my home - we only stream locally. 2 rooms. A roku ultra in each room and the server in a room on its own...No accessing outside local newtwork.

One thing about running batch files in windows - I would like idiot instructions (Like literally, idiot instructions) I have one batch rile I can run to put MKV audio in sync. Say, you have a series and the entire season is 200ms out of sync... I can batch file that... I've fixed so many sync issues this way over the years... I have the .bat file... what I do.. is I take the bat file, put it into the folder of season 1 of a show, copy the shortcut from mkvtoolnix program files folder called mkvmerge... but both that and the bath file in the folder and double click the bat file and it processes fine... (as long as the files are all mkv) but I've never been able to get any other batch file to work and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

0 Kudos
uncletim
Binge Watcher

I'm not sure how to run that batch file, I have MKVToolnix

I tried recompressor version 291 with:

Overwrite source checked

Keep original unchecked

profile Strip Colour Header checked with no ffmpeg options

takes 5 minutes to do one file and it's half the size when done. 

0 Kudos
1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

I'm not 100% because I haven't done it in a while...but I think keep original needs to be unchecked and overwrite needs to be checked...

Know this - it should only take a nano-second to do each file...if not, some setting is wrong...

Maybe someone can read this and give someone the EXACT settings they need...

I remember I had this problem when I first started using the program... It would take forever to do each file... Once I changed a couple of settings...it worked great...

0 Kudos
uncletim
Binge Watcher

those are the settings I have set, doesn't really work for me. 

0 Kudos
GoPenguins
Streaming Star

Under settings make sure everything is unchecked except for strip color....  not just blank... if Any option is checked ffmpeg will run 

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
uncletim
Binge Watcher

yes, my setting exactly like this. 

2023-03-04_210242.jpg

0 Kudos
GoPenguins
Streaming Star

and your other settings....

Untitled.pngUntitled2.png

Untitled3.png

If it's more than 0.79 ms you did something wrong or....