Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CableCut2Roko
Reel Rookie

Seeking solution to Closed Captioning stopped working

I have numerous Roku Ultra and Ultra LT devices that have stopped showing Closed Captioning on YouTube TV.

I have tried, updating Roku Software, deleting and reinstalling YouTube TV and doing a factory reset on the devices.  I can get Closed Captioning on Netflix but not YouTube TV This appears to be a Roku issue as I see may people with the same issue.

When I deleted YouTubeTV off one device it actually removed it from a 2nd device while my wife was watching it!

Any help in resolving it would be appreciated.  

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
CableCut2Roko
Reel Rookie

Re: Seeking solution to Closed Captioning stopped working

I stumbled across the solution, and it happened to be with the YouTube TV application.

The solution was as follows: when watching any station hit the down arrow on the remote which opens a variety of functions.  One of these expose a button for Closed Captioning.  Use the arrows to select the CC button and make the needed changes.

Whew!  Being a household of hearing-impaired people, loosing closed captioning really this threw us!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Seeking solution to Closed Captioning stopped working

@CableCut2Roko 

Just to clarify a couple of things for you.  When you link Roku devices to the same account (use the same email account/same email address for all your Roku devices) the addition or removal of channel/apps from one Roku device will result in the adding or removing of that channel from, all linked Roku devices.

Second, regarding Closed Captioning.  The main settings for Closed Captioning are located under Settings/Accessibiity on your Roku devices. (each device will need to be configured seperately).  You can also bring up the Closed Captioning and Accessibility menu while watching content by pressing the asterick (*) button on your Roku remote.

Additionally, some channels/apps have their own additional Closed Captioning/Subtitle menus.  Generally, you can access them by pressing the "Pause/Play" button on your Roku remote which will then provide you an overlay banner with options from within the channel/app.  Some other channels/app use different remote buttons (like the Up or Down arrow buttons).  

You may just have to experiment with each channel/app you will be watching on your Roku device.  Note, there are a few channels/apps that lack Closed Captions/Subtitles altogether, so may not be available (even though a menu may show it Enabled).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.