Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jadesse

Re: Roku3 no audio playing HDHomerun

I had audio up until 3 or 4 days ago on my Roku with HD Homerun.  It just stopped all of the sudden.  I have tried changing the audio setting & nothing has worked.  I have a firestick connected to the same TV and it works fine.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@timhorton wrote:

HDHomerun is working on other devices including Roku Streaming Stick. Roku3 is playing perfectly with Amazon Prime, HBONow, Netflix. But it has no audio when playing HDHomerun.

Straight from the horse's mouth.   HDHomeRun advice re not receiving audio:
https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/roku#can_t_hear_audio

Note that the various channels themselves provide Roku with Roku-compatible versions of their channel apps. Roku just provides the platform on which they run.  It appears that HDHomeRun has not provided Roku with a version of their app that does not require the TV to decode Dolby Digital or AC3 audio.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Right, but the guy you're replying to claims he had audio until a few days ago. The problem with HDHomeRun not decoding DD or AC3 has always been there.

0 Kudos
chickentender
Streaming Star

This is a bit ridiculous. Silicon Dust tuner box models are in the >$200 range and advertised to be Roku compatible, not Roku compatible under certain circumstances. Fix your app, Silicon Dust.

Retired227

I suffered great angst in trying to get the audio on two of my four TV's to work with my HDHomeRun Flex Quatro 4.
Situation was as follows:
 - LG TV with a Roku express - no audio
 - DYNEX TV with a Roku Ultra - no audio
 - RCA TV with Roku express - audio worked fine
 - Roku Smart TV - with Roku express - audio worked fine.
On the TVs that had no audio I tried all the various audio settings that were suggested on this forum, as well as within the results of numerous google searches. However, none of those solutions worked in my particular case.
What I ended up doing was to reset the affected Roku devices using the "Factory reset" function.
Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset > enter the code provided and then select OK.
Follow the instructions from there as per the initial setup of your particular Roku device.
NOTE: This will remove all your established channels and their respective logins (Netflex, Amazon Prime, etc.).
However, after hours of frustration, trying the affected Rokus on the other TV sets and all the other supposed fixes, this was the only remedy that I found that worked.
Hope this is of help.
Cheers!!

0 Kudos
malarivi
Reel Rookie

I just wanted to follow up with everyone on this. Ultimately I threw a chromecast on everything using the "hey google, open live channels" workaround. Set and forget 

0 Kudos
malarivi
Reel Rookie

Its like going from dialup to cable

0 Kudos
rcr1
Reel Rookie

Boy o Boy I finally after 2 or 3 yrs owning 2 ea roku 3's i now have sound from the HDhomerun connect duo i had to share

Roku 3 audio settings for HDhomerun duo connect
Go to the Roku home screen

1st navigate to audio audio change stereo to auto (DD)
Then navigate to “Settings” → “Audio”
Select “Streaming audio format” and change it to “Dolby”
Go back to Audio and select “Digital output format”
and change “Digital output format” mode to “Custom” → “Dolby” → “Dolby Digital”
If you are still having issues: While watching live TV in the HDHomeRun app, press the * button and see if your “Volume mode” is set to “off” (this might not always be required, depending on the Roku model)

mmortal03
Roku Guru

@rcr1 wrote:

1st navigate to audio audio change stereo to auto (DD)
Then navigate to “Settings” → “Audio”
Select “Streaming audio format” and change it to “Dolby”
Go back to Audio and select “Digital output format”
and change “Digital output format” mode to “Custom” → “Dolby” → “Dolby Digital”
If you are still having issues: While watching live TV in the HDHomeRun app, press the * button and see if your “Volume mode” is set to “off” (this might not always be required, depending on the Roku model)

Do you have yours connected to a TV or receiver that supports Dolby Digital? Because it's definitely true that a Roku will pass a Dolby Digital signal if present in HDHomeRun -- it just won't decode it, for those of us without such a TV or receiver.

rcr1
Reel Rookie

I'm talking about roku 3 4230x (2013) model all 3 TVs I have Samsung 1 is uhd hdr 2 are HD 1080p I had dug these rokus out of my closest because FrndlyTv.com was continuously buffering on both my fire cube and fire stick in doing I started researching again hdhomerun channel audio problems which was the reason I stuff them in my closet to start with and was tickle to death to find the solution 

0 Kudos