Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrsNut
Streaming Star

Re: Roku updated and have lost all my Antenna channels.

Jump to solution

Thank you for this suggestion, I will try it later today. I didn't know there was an option to rename something in the settings. Hopefully, this will work because chasing down where to watch a show is frustrating and exhausting. 

0 Kudos
MrsNut
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Don't be in a hurry to get a reasonable fix from them. I've been complaining since Jan this year. Others as you see on here also have had the same issue for quite some time. Now, we bought it to watch OTA tv as ROKU tells you how to in the setup, false advertising? Misleading? Quite possibly. Now some people have caps on their internet and choose to watch OTA and save their data from a provider for things like work or school and not streaming TV. Roku, do better and solve the issue! I mean it's only in the setup guide for us to receive OTA, and as everyone has stated, we had that in our channel lineup until you chose to deceive us and hide it or make us hunt for a workaround.  I'm betting you wouldn't like it if the car manufacturer hid your steering wheel or gas pedal in a hidden compartment in the trunk and you had to get it out every time you needed it. 

0 Kudos
tcp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Just an update.  I have turned the TV on/off numerous times and unplugged it twice and it has kept the over-the-air channels in the list.  They appear in the newly created "antenna" button along with the free streaming channels.  So far so good.  It's an RCA TV with Roku built in.  RCA 24" Roku Smart TV (RTR2461-CA).  I still need to look into the settings to keep updates from happening automagically and breaking the current positivity.

MrsNut
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@tcp  I simply can not thank you enough! I did what you said and poof I have my OTA back.  However, I didn't have to rename anything. I scrolled down the list and the antenna option was there. I checked it, went back, and poof there they were. Also, as you said it put the antenna tile next to the live TV tile.  You should work for Roku, apparently they need someone who can actually fix something so simple! I hope your post is seen by others as it really does work. 

0 Kudos
tcp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

We can both thank user "AvsGunnar".  The problem is that his fix is so hidden in all the posts, it's easily missed.  As far as Roku coding goes,  the development team that decided to name two different Buttons with the same name should be fired.  They do very different things and all they needed to do was keep the one named "antenna" and not renamed it "live TV" which already existed and did different things.  Are you reading this Roku dev. team.  Major mistake and releasing it like this has caused untold problems.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Same issue and I have tried the fixes noted here - without success. Support told me to contact the manufacturer because it is Likley co-axial port issue on the tv itself. That seems highly unlikely to me - coincidence this is all started after software issue. 

Very frustrating and disappointed it can't be resolved 

0 Kudos
tcp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

When I first installed the TV and connected it to Wifi, it did a firmware update.   Then applying the fix from AvsGunnar worked.  Is your firmware to the latest revision?  I doubt a coax issue would be the problem.  If you can "scan" for  the channels and actual channels show up, your coax is fine.  They shouldn't disappear just not be able to get a signal once you've scan and saved them if there is an antenna issue.

0 Kudos
MrsNut
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hi. Have you tried the fix by @tcp ?  I'm going to paste his post and it fixed my issue. Please read the following and good luck!

So, after spending an inordinate amount of time on this, I have a fix.  It seems there are two "live tv" sections within the firmware.  Horrible coding, but it seems to exist.  One has access to the antenna channels, the other doesn't.

If you follow the instructions below exactly, you access the "live tv" (and rename it) that has access to the actual OTA channels you have set.  If you simply chose the "live tv" button in the shortcuts, you only have  access the ROKU streaming channels.

This information came from the user @AvsGunnar here:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/Lost-all-antenna-and-live-channels-this-evenin...

The instructions I followed are pasted below:

Instead of looking for Settings/TV Inputs/Antenna TV, try looking for Settings/TV Inputs/Live TV.  Then "Enable" this Input. (it may be listed under Unused Inputs")

Then go to Settings/TV Inputs/Rename and change it to Antenna (or whatever you want to call it).

When you want to watch your OTA/Antenna/Local Channels, make sure you select this new Antenna Input tile from the Home Screen.

-----

By default in Roku OS 11, Antenna TV Input was renamed LiveTV,, but Roku also added a Menu Item on the left side of Home Screen also called LiveTV.   The Live TV Menu Item only shows Streaming Channels from the Roku Channel LiveTV.  In order to watch your OTA/Antenna channels, you must select the LiveTV Input tile from the Home Screen. (this is the one mentioned above that is can be renamed Antenna or whatever you wish).

If you want the Antenna Input to only contain local channels, you can hide the Streaming Channels by going to Settings/TV Inputs/[Antenna aka LiveTV]/Manage Channels/Hide Streaming Channels.

-----

Many users are selecting the LiveTV from the left side Menu and wondering why their OTA channels are missing.  They are not missing.  Roku made a confusing decision to name two features the same LiveTV by default but perform different functions.

Others users are experiencing issues with some RokuTVs that seem to lose the OTA channels from memory, so not sure which issue you are actually experiencing.

0 Kudos