Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
desierto
Channel Surfer

Roku trying to take over..NOT OK!

Jump to solution

In the past month or so...maybe a recent software update, I have come to DESPISE Roku. Things were fine before, but apparently now Roku knows better than I what I want to watch. Here's an example of a consistent problem, not just an occasional one. I'm watching a video on a channel that's not Roku, say YouTube, I pause it for a couple minutes and when I come back and attempt to resume play instead of being able to pick up where I left off I am back on the home screen and the Roku channel, or one that it promotes, is loading. This is super annoying, and not acceptable. Does Roku think I will just watch their selections? Do they think this behavior will promote or enhance their brand? And most importantly, does Roku really think I/we are that stupid?

I guess it's time for a new streaming player that will definitely NOT be a Roku brand.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
SamNicotine
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku trying to take over..NOT OK!

Jump to solution

I had the exact problem you did.  I went around in circles with Roku support until i figured out if I changed screen savers to one of the community ones, this no longer happened.  It's something Roku has built into their screen savers as someone else pointed out.

View solution in original post

desierto
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for your response since apparently Roku isn't going to be of any help.

I have not changed screensaver settings in a long time but this issue is only months old. My screensaver had been a digital clock, but noticed that had disappeared and reset to a different one that I assumed was a default. I didn't bother about changing it back and I don't think it would ever have occurred to me to connect the two things. I changed it back and just as you said the problem seems to have disappeared.

I'm surprised or maybe not, that the Roku rep that replied to me, then just ignored me, didn't mention this. Surely Roku knows about this. Perhaps they think by keeping this from us it will make us want to watch their channels. As it turns out, for me at least, it has had the opposite effect.

So thanks again for your help. I had pretty much given up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
thetick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have never seen this with Roku.  If I do then I will be turning off my Roku and using my phone with Chromecast for all content.

Anyway what Roku OS are you using ?

TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It sounds like you are using one of the screen savers that have ads.  If you watch these carefully, while an ad is showing, you can switch to the advertised channel by pressing play.  So, there are two things you can do: 1: learn to exit that screen saver without pressing play, or 2: use a screen saver without ads.  I did the latter years ago (either of the Roku clock screen savers will do).

0 Kudos
desierto
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

No, not watching a screensaver. What I wrote is exactly what happens.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If you have a "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction" setting, see if turning it OFF eliminates the problem.

For further details, see this Roku information page: https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
desierto
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don't have a power savings feature. Also it's completely powered off after each use.

Based on replies it really seems like my problem isn't understood so let me try another way. Imagine you are in the middle of watching a YouTube video and you want something to drink. You pause the video for a couple of minutes. When you come pack and un-pause the video you were just watching, but instead of resuming where you left off you are now back on the home screen for about a second or two and then the Roku channel or another random channel that Roku promotes is loading. It is as if Roku now wants to decide what I should and should not be watching.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@desierto

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to look further into the issue, but we will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
desierto
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Below is the information requested. The problem as described in my earlier posts happens consistently with YouTube, and intermittently with Paramount +.  I have checked and there are no updates for either channel. I followed the instructions to get a tracker ID but that doesn't work.

Again, the steps to reproduce the problem are:  watch video, pause video for a minute or two, un-pause video, now instead of video resuming play (as it did previous to this issue) it is now on the home screen for probably less than a second until I now see Roku channel or one of the other free channels loading.

Roku

3600X Roku stick
Ser #  5S4624354722
Software V 11.5.0 build 4312-2

Paramount + v 7.9.  build 202212122

YouTube. 2.20.   build  93005154

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@desierto

Thanks for the follow up.

Can you please provide us a tracker ID when this issue occurs so we can investigate further? Please be aware that the sequence of buttons will need to be done in succession.

In addition, how are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
desierto
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

As I mentioned in my previous response, I followed the instructions to get the tracker ID but it did not work. Yes,it was clear that the sequence of buttons was to be in succession. Nothing happened exceept the same issue of rapidly going from home screen to loading Roku or another channel. I tried multiple times to no avail.

Device is powered via TV USB port.

0 Kudos