Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tm2020
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

If you have a Roku model that supports Apple Airplay (like the Roku Premier+), you can use the VidAngel app to "cast" via AirPlay to the Roku. Just click "send to TV" in the app, and then choose "AppleTV" and it works. Seems to take a bit to get going, but in my testing it seems to work reasonably well.

Obviously, not the best solution and not ideal - I hate browsing on my mobile device for a movie when I have a big screen sitting right in front of me. Also, hate burning battery life casting from a mobile device. A native and certified Roku app would be so much better. Really hope VidAngel keeps trying to get it certified, doesn't give up, and Roku eventually responds in a helpful manner realizing that VidAngel has paid for the sins of it's past and now offers a great and legal service.

currah
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That is a great point.  If the VidAngel community floods the market with cheap or free used Roku's they should all be reset to factory settings. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@currah wrote:

... they should all be reset to factory settings. 

That is a critical step, regardless if you give it away or sell it to someone. Do a factory reset to remove all  your personal information. Also log into your Roku user account and remove the device from your account. That way it's impossible for someone to get access to your personal info. Even if you throw it in the trash (I hope you don't, recycle it responsibly) make sure you do this step.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Faithofstihl
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I think this is terrible!!  Now I’m paying for a service I can’t use because of Roku!!  

DrHos

Jump to solution

I guess that was a nice wish. My VidAngel disappeared last night and I'm being told there's no work around. I will be joining the others buying a new device for my TV. And VidAngel says they will give me a $30 credit when I do. Bye

Krokon

Jump to solution

We recently bout our ROku tv just for VidAngel. What a complete waste. So disappointing!

qe

Jump to solution

I have adopted Roku as a platform to connect me to all kinds of media, not a gatekeeper to cut me off from choices.  This decision cuts across their only major advantage.  Other platforms, Apple, Amazon connect more easily to their ecosystems.  If that is all I wanted, then I have no reason to own or use Roku.  This is a completely disturbing development from a platform that had been building trust and brand value.

Weech
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Fortunately I had an Amazon Firestick that I previously used on a bedroom TV.   I just plugged it in to another TV port and plugged it in.  

I tried to cast to it to my TV using my android phone but Fire TV wasn't listed as an option.  So I chatted with a Vidangel rep and she emailed me a work around Vidangel App.  I tried again and was able to cast to my TV.  She reported they are working with Amazon on getting the Vidangel App listed on the Fire Stick.

Another nice feature of the Firestick is that you can use Alexa to operate the app by voice control.

So my TV has both Roku and Firestick options at this point.  But I expect Firestick will be used most of the time.  

The other good thing is that new Fire Sticks are pretty affordable.  Looks like between $20-50, depending on the model.  

Jhan46

Jump to solution

Roku get over yourself. Let us watch vidangel.

bsulzen

Jump to solution

I now have a fire stick plugged into my Roku TV and will be using it exclusively. I've been a long time Roku user, but no more!

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.