Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
breakerbreaker
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

If Roku really wants to offer a family friendly device then they should either support VidAngel or release their own video filtering service. They literally have control of the stream at the software level and could even partner with VidAngel to use their movie/show filter definitions. Of course, this is likely a pipe dream and it would be more realistic for them to just certify the channel. Heck, get your attorneys together with VidAngels. VidAngel can indemnify Roku and clear them of any liability. This is a solvable problem.

Jump to solution

Roku NEEDS to support VidAngel! I’m not just a customer, I’m a ROKU Shareholder. Roku stood out bc it beat other services to the market with devices that supported VidAngel. I’m not the only one who has moved away from FireTV & AppleTV. This past year, I bought 3 new Roku TVs, 2 StreamBars, 3 Ultras, and a couple of their stick versions (some where gifts). I have loved having the ease of just selecting my movie/show from the TV. Airplay is often glitchy, and I rarely if ever had any issue with Roku. 
Roku, you obviously do not know what you have here. You should step up and make these Big Tech Giants chase you.

#KeepVidangel

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@breakerbreaker 

Just for clarity, you can cast or stream online content from phones, tablets, laptops, desktop PCs, etc.  You can do it over wifi, or by plugging an HDMI cable from the device directly to the TV and use like any other connected device (dvd player, Roku, gaming systems, etc).

The Roku is merely a specialized streaming "computer" (hardware with software).  I again understand that the majority would prefer a dedicated channel and using remote, but apparently, that is going to take and require some coordination between VidAngel and Roku. (if all the reporting above is accurate)

The way I described regarding casting/streaming really takes any intermediary/gatekeeper out of the picture.  As long as the content is capable of being streamed, you can then stream it.  Some of the content I stream is via a laptop with HDMI cable.  I use a keyboard instead of a remote.  But the result is the same - I am watching the content on my TV.

I think streamers need to learn to make these streaming devices (whether Roku, Fire, Apple, Android, etc) a "part" of their viewing experience, and not the "center" of it, regardless of any of these company's claims and marketing.  Maybe this will resolve itself, but if it doesn't, you will still be in the same position.  You will either need a different streaming device platform (and hope the next one is not similarly impacted down the line), or find another manner/method to stream your desired content.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

atc98092

Jump to solution

@PScottNinja to be accurate, Roku has never "supported" VidAngel. They've apparently never had a channel available in the channel store. VidAngel make a private channel available, but that's not the same as having Roku support. 

From everything that's been provided here, I personally don't understand why Roku hasn't accepted a channel for certification. But since I'm not privy to the requirements or the channel functionality, there could be something I'm missing.

Roku does have to be careful with the legality of the content being provided by certified channels, and unfortunately it's little help to them for a company to "indemnify" them, as the legal community won't care about that. Even if Roku is in the clear, it could still cost time and money to defend themselves. It's happened in the past, so they likely don't want a repeat. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
breakerbreaker
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar I see what you're saying. I'm a nerd myself with an HTPC in my livingroom with a qwerty remote but most VidAngel customers are regular non-tech people and it's impossible to expect them to jump through a bunch of hoops for this. Might as well dust off the ClearPlay DVD player. We use Roku for convenience. Heck doing all that just to watch a channel sounds like a nightmare. I'd sooner purge Roku from my life and move to an open source Android TV which doesn't gate-keep. This whole thread is about how Roku is about to screw a huge market of families that actually care about keeping their devices family friendly. I'm really just wanting an official response from Roku to confirm that they are really just going to give families a big middle finger.

@atc98092 We have legal precedent though and Roku was not implicated in VidAngel's legal battle. VidAngel settled the suit and is in the clear. There is no legal reason for Roku to not certify this channel, and even if they want to hyperventilate about liability (which they don't have), there are ways to handle that.

atc98092

Re: No more VidAngel? Goodbye Roku!

Jump to solution

There are legal reasons for removing support for non-certified channels. It's no different than what Apple does with iOS devices. Android is the only platform that still allows sideloading apps, but Google still maintains control over their Play Store for content. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Ranger_J
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The bottom line was is that an app which MANY Roku customers have been successfully using and was, in many instances a major factor in the selection of Roku in the first place, will no longer operable as of February 23, 2022. Furthermore, are you saying that Roku is more careful regarding legalities than Amazon or, especially Apple, which is widely known for its stringent control of the applications that it allows on its platforms? No, even don’t go there. This reflects a conscious disregard for customer viewing tastes, relative to competitors, which diminishes the value of other streaming services for me and other like minded Roku owners. I that point we’ll part ways and I will loudly and aggressively  recommend AGAINST using Roku to everyone I come in contact with. I’ve had at least a half dozen people, in the past couple of months, tell me that they are considering streaming TV and Roku, based upon my personal review of Roku AND the VidAngel app specifically. Now, I will be forced to retract that recommendation. Perhaps Apple and Amazon are more friendly to VidAngel because they both rent/sell videos which would not otherwise be purchased. In any case, it gives them a leg up on Roku.

wdsheppard

Jump to solution

I too watch many shows on Roku/Vidangel and am most disappointed that that will no longer work.  I have three locations that I have a combination of over 6 Roku players used by my family to enjoy Vidangel content via our Roku Players.  Please reconsider and allow Vidangel to continue via the Roku Players.

Thanks for your consideration of this request,

Bill Sheppard

kayjun
Reel Rookie

Re: VidAngel not supported?? Why??

Jump to solution

tm2020
Binge Watcher

Re: VidAngel not supported?? Why??

Jump to solution

Cross-posting from "Roku no longer supporting VidAngel":
https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Roku-no-longer-supporting-VidAngel/td-p/76490...

"Yes. Very disappointed with Roku; but, not for their decision to lock down their app store, I get that; rather, I'm disappointed that they aren't forthcoming with VidAngel about why they won't approve their app. This app is great for a family who doesn't want their kids minds (or mine, for that matter) filled with the smutty scenes and gratuitous sex/nudity that seems to be the de-facto replacement for a well written story these days.

Vidangel says they have submitted their app to the store for approval multiple times, only for it to be summarily rejected by Roku without explanation. That reeks of poor practice on Roku's part and the most likely explanation is not that VidAngel isn't abiding by the app requirements, but instead that Roku is playing politics and too spineless to stand up and own it ("maybe if we ignore them they will go away and we won't have to show our cards" says a Roku exec somewhere). If the end of the month comes and I can't watch VidAngel on the Roku I'll be looking at other players ASAP - Roku will have lost a customer and I'll recommend against them any chance I get.

Hopefully Roku will stand up and either approve the VidAngel app so it can be listed in the store - or engage in reasonable and professional dialog with the developers so that they can fix whatever is causing Roku to reject the app (if its not simply that they [Roku] are scared of Disney)..."