Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tm2020
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

Yes. Very disappointed with Roku; but, not for their decision to lock down their app store, I get that; rather, I'm disappointed that they aren't forthcoming with VidAngel about why they won't approve their app. This app is great for a family who doesn't want their kids minds (or mine, for that matter) filled with the smutty scenes and gratuitous sex/nudity that seems to be the de-facto replacement for a well written story these days.

Vidangel says they have submitted their app to the store for approval multiple times, only for it to be summarily rejected by Roku without explanation. That reeks of poor practice on Roku's part and the most likely explanation is not that VidAngel isn't abiding by the app requirements, but instead that Roku is playing politics and too spineless to stand up and own it ("maybe if we ignore them they will go away and we won't have to show our cards" says a Roku exec somewhere). If the end of the month comes and I can't watch VidAngel on the Roku I'll be looking at other players ASAP - Roku will have lost a customer and I'll recommend against them any chance I get.

Hopefully Roku will stand up and either approve the VidAngel app so it can be listed in the store - or engage in reasonable and professional dialog with the developers so that they can fix whatever is causing Roku to reject the app (if its not simply that they [Roku] are scared of Disney)...

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@filmnikon wrote:

I just contacted Roku support to confirm and ask for any work-arounds.  I was assured that "existing customers" are not affected.  They weren't 100% clear but it seems as though users with VidAngel installed will continue to be able to use the app.  If you were to purchase a new Roku, however, you would not be able to install the app.

This is not accurate. When they remove support for uncertified channels, they will be removed from all devices, regardless if they are previously installed. You will not be able to use the channel, because it will be removed completely from all devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@jolleyangel wrote:

When I made the switch to Roku, there was no app for YouTube TV due to their disputing with each other. Yes, there finally is one now, but Roku still doesn't have an app for YouTube Music. 

Roku doesn't create the channels for content providers. It's Google's decision to not provide YouTube Music on the Roku platform. Most likely because they sell their own competing platform, the Chromecast, and they're rather you buy from them.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
tm2020
Binge Watcher

Re: VidAngel not supported?? Why??

Jump to solution

Cross-posting from "Roku no longer supporting VidAngel":
https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Roku-no-longer-supporting-VidAngel/td-p/76490...

"Yes. Very disappointed with Roku; but, not for their decision to lock down their app store, I get that; rather, I'm disappointed that they aren't forthcoming with VidAngel about why they won't approve their app. This app is great for a family who doesn't want their kids minds (or mine, for that matter) filled with the smutty scenes and gratuitous sex/nudity that seems to be the de-facto replacement for a well written story these days.

Vidangel says they have submitted their app to the store for approval multiple times, only for it to be summarily rejected by Roku without explanation. That reeks of poor practice on Roku's part and the most likely explanation is not that VidAngel isn't abiding by the app requirements, but instead that Roku is playing politics and too spineless to stand up and own it ("maybe if we ignore them they will go away and we won't have to show our cards" says a Roku exec somewhere). If the end of the month comes and I can't watch VidAngel on the Roku I'll be looking at other players ASAP - Roku will have lost a customer and I'll recommend against them any chance I get.

Hopefully Roku will stand up and either approve the VidAngel app so it can be listed in the store - or engage in reasonable and professional dialog with the developers so that they can fix whatever is causing Roku to reject the app (if its not simply that they [Roku] are scared of Disney)..."

Jump to solution

I cannot believe Roku would pull a stunt like this. Hopefully they don’t become obsolete in the next 5-10 years. Amazon and Google might take the market by storm because they are allowing VidAngel into their stores as public channels and actually listening to what their customers want - let the customer have options. 

PastorC
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I really love VidAngel. No one has asked me to write this, but like the person that originated this thread, I received an email saying that Feb 23rd is the last day to use Roku if you want to see shows through VidAngel.

First of all, I've been an avid customer of Roku for probably 10 years, or way before it was popular, and I was so proud to see that Roku, supported VidAngel. 

I told my family and congregation that they should consider switching also because it helps to protect the eyes and ears while being entertained via TV.

I don't know what Roku's problem is with VidAngel so much that they would tear this wonderful tool away from their own faithful customers! There are probably millions of families that don't want to see or hear the 'raw and unfiltered' versions of movies, tv, cartoons, and everything that is family 'unfriendly.' Whatever the reason, I am very disappointed with Roku, which I've used to see VidAngel through Amazon Prime and Netflix... 

Even though I recently started paying for xfinity, I mostly watch Roku because xfinity also doesn't allow VidAngel.

We have 3 TVs with Roku and 1 TV with xfinity and it is so annoying that the 1 TV doesn't allow VidAngel, or Screencast of VidAngel from my phone, I was thinking of turning off xfinity altogether to purchase a 4th Roku. Now, it looks like I'll have to completely get rid of the 3 Rokus and get 4 Amazon firesticks 🔥!!!

This is very INCONVENIENT 😑 but it is too important for my family and I'm sure millions of others. 

Does anyone know how to get VidAngel stock, this is probably going to be big (I'm not a professional broker)... I'm just saying... 😇

Bye Roku... I hope you can figure this out before Feb 23rd, otherwise we will be forced to make a decision. 🔥🕹

Tags (1)
PastorC
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

NOT GOOD ENOUGH! 😡

A community needs to Care about others not just yourselves! Roku needs to fix this for our community!

If anyone wants to call Roku to share their thoughts 816-272-8106

Tags (1)
lizgood

Jump to solution

We've used roku for years.  This is a short-sighted decision that's going to cost them in the end.  We love VidAngel!!

berby_chinagirl
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just talked to Roku Support and they told me the same thing, that as long as the app is on my Roku device that it will continue to work. Then they told me that if the app gets deleted then I would need to contact the app developers to add the "non-certified" app to my Roku device using a code. So what is accurate, will it work or not?

berby_chinagirl
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just talked to Roku Support via chat and they told me the same thing, that as long as the app is on my Roku device that it will continue to work. Then they told me that if the app gets deleted then I would need to contact the app developers to add the "non-certified" app to my Roku device using a code. So what is accurate, will it work or not? I would really love to continue using VidAngel on my Roku, but it sounds like if the VidAngel app doesn't get into the store then I need to get a firestick since the VidAngel app is in their store.