Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ispyce
Streaming Star

Roku is not loading on TV

Came home and went to turn on my Roku, but it was unresponsive. I never turn off my TV, I just leave it on my Roku home page and when I get home the Roku screensaver is always scrolling by. Came home tonight though and my Roku wasn't even on. My TV just said "No Signal". So after changing remote batteries didn't work, I powercycled my Roku. Still no response. Unplugged modem/router, Roku and TV, plugged back in/turned back on... still nothing. Hitting the home button on my remote does nothing. No response.

After about 10 minutes of just sitting here, the Roku loading screen finally popped up for a minute, then flicked back off and once again, all I saw on my screen was "No Response". I even cycled through all of my TV inputs (which I never change, it just sits on 'HDMI 1' all the time) and going back to HDMI 1, I still get the 'No Response' error.

Even as I sit here typing this up, the Roku loading screen popped up... and then flicked back off. It does this about every 10 minutes or so.

For some reason that I can't figure out, my Roku simply won't load. It seems to be trying, but it isn't working. I've powercycled at least 5 times, but no change. It's not my TV, I have no other issues with it on any other channel or input. And it's not my wifi because I have no other issues with that either on any other devices.

Has there been an update recently causing this? I was watching YouTube last night with no issues at all, but now today... Roku is just not even loading at all.

I have a Roku Express, all up to date.

8 REPLIES 8
RokuAnjelie
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku is not loading on TV

Hi @ispyce

Hello, and welcome to the Roku community!

We appreciate you reaching out to us, and we regret to hear about this issue going on with your Roku player.

Have you attempted switching to a different HDMI port? In addition, have you tried connecting the device to a different TV to determine whether or not the problem still occurs when doing so?

Your response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anjelie

Anjelie A.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ispyce
Streaming Star

Hi Anjelie, thank you so much for the response. I did try switching HDMI ports, and still nothing. And I don't have another TV. Just my one that I've always had. The problem is is that I am not getting any kind of response from the Roku box. Roku is trying to load, but can't/won't. Loading screen pops up, then my screen goes black/says "no signal". 10 minutes later, Roku tries to load again, then screen goes black/says "no signal". And it just repeats this cycle for hours. I've powercycled my TV, Roku, modem and router and still nothing. In fact, I've powercycled my Roku at least 10 times, even left it unplugged for 2 hours last night just to make sure it was fully off... and when I plugged it back in.... nothing. Loading screen came up then went away and the screen went black/said "no signal". I've done everything short of resetting, which I hesitate to do since I can't remember the majority of my passwords.

It's just weird how it went from working just fine to not responding at all and not even being able to load within just a few hours.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@ispyce 

If you are powering your Roku device via the USB port on your TV, try powering the device by plugging into a wall outlet with a USB wall adapter.  If your device did not come with a wall adapter, try using a cell phone charger adapter. (5volt, 1 amp).

May just be a power supply issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
ispyce
Streaming Star

Thank you for the response, Gunnar. My device is not plugged into my TV, it is already powered by a USB adapter plugged into the wall. I even swapped out the USB cable and nothing changes. My Roku is on, it is powered on, it is simply not responding/loading.

I'm just going to purchase a new one at this point. Nothing I can do if the device is bricked.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ispyce

Thank you for your response!

We appreciate all the troubleshooting steps you took to fix this issue.

At this point, can you try to perform the following:

• Perform a Hard reset on your Roku device by clicking the reset button.
  • Hook up your Roku device to a different TV.
  • Try another set of HDMI cords.

We'll be able to make an in-depth assessment of the issue after doing so. Kindly let us know how this one goes.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ispyce
Streaming Star

Thank you @RokuJanadeeK for your response. As mentioned in my previous response, I do not have a 2nd TV I can test out my Roku on. I only own 1 television. So I cannot hook up my device to a different TV.

And using a new/different HDMI cord didn't help, either. I experienced the same problem.

But none of that matters now anyway because I woke up this morning and finally, after about what.. 4 days?... of just sitting and trying to load my Roku finally loaded and is, for the time being anyway, working normally. I did not perform a hard reset, the problem simply resolved itself.

0 Kudos
JuneRo23

Hello, 

I purchased the Roku 4+ in June. I'm having almost similar problems except the Roku will turn on and display on the tv but when I try to pick any channel.  It will said unable to complete request we're sorry, something didn'twork right. Please restart your Roku device and try again. Reference code: RLP- 999. This started 2 weeks ago. I have done all the steps you listed expect,  I don't have a second tv and the device has alway been plugged into the wall. Please what can I do. I'm paying for cable but unable to watch TV for 2 weeks now, not sure what is wrong. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

When I search for: “Reference code: RLP- 999”, what I find says it is a Spectrum error code.  When you say:  “any channel”, I assume you mean any channel within the Spectrum app/channel? If you have Spectrum service, it seems that rebooting the modem/router often cures this.  (By the way, I don’t think this has any relation to the OP’s issue.)

Banned but back. Because why not?