Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kitty99
Binge Watcher

Roku.com won't stay logged in on my computer.

I want to stay logged in to Roku on my computer.  Every time I go to the site, to search for Apps or help, I have to sign in again.  

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku.com won't stay logged in on my computer.

For security reasons you are logged out of the web site (and this community forum as well) after around two hours of inactivity. That is just the way it is, and it's a reasonable policy to help slow down the bad actors. Yes, it's an inconvenience to need to log in again. But that's the way online security has moved. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Kitty99
Binge Watcher

But... the Roku Streaming Device is constantly logged in on Wi-Fi.  That is just as unsafe, if someone hacks your Wi-Fi.  So what it is the point?  

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Because no one has access to your Roku device without being physically present in your home. And even if they could get into your Roku, there's little personal information stored on the device itself. The little bit that's there (such as your WiFi password) is encrypted and simply isn't worth the effort to retrieve. 

Your computer can be hacked from outside your network and used to access anything you have stored on the computer, including login information for web sites. And even if your computer isn't hacked, someone could attempt to access your Roku user account without even being on your network. That's why almost all web sites now use SSL security certificates, to prove they are who they say they are. It used to be banks and e-commerce sites were the only ones that bothered with SSL, but now almost every web site does. It's all in the name of security. 

The forum software that Roku used to use allowed for remaining logged in at all times. But when they switched to this software (Oct 2019) that went away. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

For reasons that I don’t know, roku.com doesn’t log me out.  I use the Firefox browser and my only extension is noscript.  In noscript, I do allow javascript on roku.com.  The roku.com pages also want to load scripts from googletagmanger.com which I have not allowed to run.  (Haven’t seen any need to.)

I don’t know if copying my configuration will work for anyone else. I didn’t make these choices based on trying to stay logged in – it was only fairly recently that I became aware that other people do not.  If this actually works for anyone else, please let us know!

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Similar. I remain logged into Roku.com, but do quickly get logged out of community.roku.com. Before, just closing the browser and starting up would log out of the community. Now, it does seem to be more time-based.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.