Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Buck4
Reel Rookie

Roku adding channels without my permission.

Jump to solution

Roku keeps adding Disney and Hulu without my consent. how do I make them stop? Or di I need to use a different platform?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku adding channels without my permission.

Jump to solution

@Buck4 

Consider adding a PIN to your Roku account.  Go to online dashboard account at https://www.roku.com/ and under "My Account" set PIN Preferences (require to make purchases and add channels).

-----

Usually the channels get added by inadvertently pressing the shortcut buttons on remote (look to see if you have both Disney and Hulu shortcuts), possibly a defective remote, or sometimes screensavers that install channels when you are trying to navigate away from them.  Perhaps try a default Roku screensaver if you currently are not.

Settings/Theme/Screensavers   (any screensaver with Roku or Roku Themes as Developer listed is default.)

------

Also keep in mind that if you have multiple Roku devices linked to the same account, any channel added or removed from one device will be added or removed from all linked devices.  If you can rule out family members adding these channels, I would look into one of the culprits above, and certainly add the PIN to your account.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Buck4 

Consider adding a PIN to your Roku account.  Go to online dashboard account at https://www.roku.com/ and under "My Account" set PIN Preferences (require to make purchases and add channels).

-----

Usually the channels get added by inadvertently pressing the shortcut buttons on remote (look to see if you have both Disney and Hulu shortcuts), possibly a defective remote, or sometimes screensavers that install channels when you are trying to navigate away from them.  Perhaps try a default Roku screensaver if you currently are not.

Settings/Theme/Screensavers   (any screensaver with Roku or Roku Themes as Developer listed is default.)

------

Also keep in mind that if you have multiple Roku devices linked to the same account, any channel added or removed from one device will be added or removed from all linked devices.  If you can rule out family members adding these channels, I would look into one of the culprits above, and certainly add the PIN to your account.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Jump to solution

This has been an ongoing issue. I've reached out to help many times about it. I've been told (by more than one person) I would receive an email after someone looks into it, but then I get no email resolution or response to my emails following up. I reached out again a couple nights ago and was instructed to reset my device. When asked what is CAUSING the issue (to attempt to find a solution), I am given the usual line that Roku doesn't add channels without permission.

The excuses have included:
• someone else must be doing it (there is no one else here)
• it's being done on another device (there is one Roku and one TV)
• a button is being pressed on the remote (the remote is sitting on a table and I am in another room)
• my account has been hacked (I have changed my account info)

If it were true that Roku doesn't add channels without permission (which isn't the case, as evidenced by everything mentioned above and witnessed/documented by many others), then it would means Roku is highly susceptible to hacking, has been for many years, and is doing nothing to solve the problem which persists. 

I wish I had a solution for you all, but instead, just a caveat. Be safe out there. 

Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The thread is from a year ago, so hopefully the OP did some reading and solved it.  Just changing the screen saver to one of the Roku clock screen savers usually does the trick, since those screen savers have no ads.

Banned but back. Because why not?