Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmeineke

Re: Roku Media Player Not Working for Pictures / Photos

I'd like to chime in that I too am having this same issue.

Here are my particulars:

TCL Roku TV

Model 65R635

Hardware ID A114X

Serial number X00300KU3KWR

Software version 12.0.0, build 4182-88

Device ID S05FY07U3KWR

Roku Media Player Version 5.5, build 13

While troubleshooting this issue, I have done the following on numerous occasions:

(TV) Settings>Power>Restart

Remove the Roku Media Player

Reinstall the Roku Media Player

Then ... try out the media player on some photos ... no Joy. I get proper thumbnails for the photos but once I select a photo and let the photos cycle through there is just a black screen. Interestingly, the screen will show the file information for each photo as they are cycled through.

Here is a video of the phenomenon:

https://youtu.be/UYAkrdoDDtI

I have never seen any error message on screen. And the behavior is the same using a USB thumb drive or my DLNA media server. Originally thought it might have something to do with file size (some of my photos were super huge JPEGs.) But I just tried with a handful of very small PNGs. Same result, I get the thumbnails displayed fine, but no luck actually displaying the photos full-sized. Video and music files work just fine from the USB and from the DLNA media server.

Happy to answer any questions not covered here.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@rmeineke As mentioned previously, there has been no updates in RMP for close to three years, and even the most recent updates were solely related to music playback. Right now, the only reliable way to play back local media on a Roku is to use Plex or Emby. RMP is simply not functional in many ways. 

Both Plex and Emby are free products, and they can be installed on the same computer that is running your DLNA server without interference. They will at least allow you to play your media while you wait for Roku to get around to fixing RMP. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try reducing the file dimensions, file size may not matter while picture dimensions will. I seem to remember having to do that for Photostreams.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I just tried RMP with some test images on my DLNA server. They all displayed as expected. They are all JPG/JPEG files, with sizes running from 80x74 to 3024x4032. Not certain what resolution your images are. My DLNA server is Serviio, and to my knowledge they are not being transcoded in any way to a different format. The Roku profiles included with Serviio (which I authored) have no capture for image transcoding. 

Dan

0 Kudos
SteveFL
Reel Rookie

I have 3 Roku TVs.  The images display fine on two of them.  It is only on model #75R635 where it doesn't work.   That's why I don't think it has to do with my server or with the image size.  It seems to be an issue with this model.

atc98092

@SteveFL For a Roku TV, the model number doesn't help much. It's very important with Roku players, but since the TVs are made by so many different companies, the model number tells us almost nothing. Who made your Roku TV? I'm guessing it's a 75" screen from the model number, so that would imply a 4K capable set, and should have more powerful hardware. But again, since there are multiple manufacturers, it's possible this set doesn't have the same hardware internally as the other TVs that work. 

Dan

0 Kudos
johdys44
Reel Rookie

R635 model will not display pictures using roku media player.  Works for mp4 video.  Shows thumbnails.  Plays music.  We need a new version or a free alternative app please.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@johdys44 No idea what you mean when you say R635. That is not a Roku model number. But I'm playing a picture slideshow right now using RMP with  my Ultra 4800. 

If you're playing pictures from a USB drive connected to your Roku, there are two  other apps available for playing media from a USB drive. One is called Shelby USB Media Player and the other is PlayUSB. The former is  free, while there is a one time cost for the latter. I have no experience with either app, so make no judgement on how well they work. If you are streaming your media from a DLNA server, then RMP is your only option. But you could also use Plex or Emby as your media server and they both have dedicated apps for Roku devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos
johdys44
Reel Rookie

Same here R365 model.  It's now 12/23 and still broken.

0 Kudos
johdys44
Reel Rookie

65R635 is the model number of my TCL 4k TV using Roku os.  Manufactured 12/21 in Mexico, Hardware ID: A114X.  Software version: 12.5.0 * build 4176-88

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.