Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
charausej
Reel Rookie

Re: ROKU Users In the Philippines

Jump to solution

So back to my statement. Don't buy Roku if you are in Ph but have a Prime Video subscription. Buy Fire TV Stick instead.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU Users In the Philippines

Jump to solution

That would be accurate. Since Roku isn't officially supported in the Philippines, many channel providers with restrictions on where they can stream their content are unlikely to allow their channels there. But the only people that can make changes in that are you local users. Me living in the US has no power over Roku to add your country, nor with the providers to allow their content there. Only the people directly impacted by this have any voice to make things change. 

Why is Roku not supported in the Philippines? I have no idea. That is a business decision that only they can change. Just a guess, but the cost to set up any sort of operations there likely isn't balanced by the expected revenue they would expect. They are in business to make money, so that has to be their bottom line.

As for content providers and channel developers, since it's not a supported location there isn't a way to permit their channel in that specific country. The selection options for the developer is to either restrict it to only specific supported countries, or permit it everywhere. Since they most likely don't have permission to stream the content worldwide, they are forced to only permit its use within Roku supported countries. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.