Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrianJacobs
Reel Rookie

Peacock app suddenly won't load any content, OVP_00055

I have a Roku Express+ 3910x, (which Peacock says it takes). The app loads fine but whenever I try to watch anything it takes me to the "Something went wrong." page, where it says "No titles available for video format: SD" with "OVP_00055" in the corner. I've had the app as long as I've had the Roku, probably since they launched. This just started I think a week ago.

The Roku and app are up to date, I've cleared the cache, uninstalled the app, restarted the device, reinstalled the app, reset the connection, reset the router, and even factory reset my Roku and started over from scratch.

I can watch on my computer, tablet or living room TV (which has a newer Roku) but this one's connected to my bedroom TV which is the only one I tend to watch stuff on. What's weird is every other app I've thought to try works fine, PBS, Plex, Amazon Prime, FoxNow, ABC, MLB, Discovery+, the Roku Channel, Freevee, Kino Cult, Shout Factory, WatchTCM, Crackle, Adult Swim, RetroCrush, ViceTV -- literally, every other app I've thought to try; it's just Peacock. (I've contacted them. They're investigating the issue.)

What's also weird is I'm sure I had this problem before but I can't remember if it resolved itself or if I found a solution. It feels like it might have been a network issue but that doesn't make sense that every other app would be working fine, right? Anyhow, right now I can't think of anything else I could do.

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Peacock app suddenly won't load any content, OVP_00055

@BrianJacobs 

You didnt mention your RokuOS firmware version (Settings/System/About), Peacock TV app version (Highlight app/Options (*)), or how your 3910 is connected to your TV (HDMI or Composite).

Its possible that the issue is caused by 1) An account-related login/authentication issue, 2) an app or firmware update within the week, 3) Composite instead of HDMI connection, or 4) Insufficient bandwidth

1) Reports of similar error messages with other services indicate login/authentication related issues. 

On the 3910 (in this exact order):  A) Sign out of Peacock TV B) Remove the PTV app C) Restart the Roku D) Reinstall & authenticate the PTV app - try again.

2)  Verify you have the latest firmware (11.0.0-4193 or 10.5.0-4208) and app version (3.5.13) by doing a manual update:  Settings/System/Software update/Check now - try again.

If your 3910 recently updated to OS11, that may be the source of the issue, and you may be able to roll back to OS10.5:  Home 5x/FF 3x/RW 2x/Update software/Update now - if offered 10.5 do the update - try again.

3)  The source of the issue may be in the error message itself in conjunction with your connection type:  "..for video format: SD" indicates Standard Definition (480i), which suggests your 3910 is connected via Composite (and not HDMI). 

If you are connecting via Composite to your bedroom TV, try connecting your 3910 to the other TV via HDMI - try again:  If content loads, its likely the Composite connection is the source of the issue.

While the 3910 is still connected to the other TV, manually configure the Display type to 1080p:  Settings/Display type/1080p TV (do NOT use Auto). 

Disconnect the 3910 from the other TV and reconnect it to your bedroom TV via Composite (do NOT change the Display type setting) - try again.

Otherwise, if your bedroom TV is capable of HDMI but you are connecting the 3910 via Composite, try connecting it via HDMI instead.

4) Its possible insufficient bandwidth is causing Peacock to attempt a lower resolution (SD) stream, leading to the error.  Check your available bandwidth:  Settings/Network/Check Connection then "Internet download speed" - if its less than 5-7Mbps this may be the source of the issue. 

Try temporarily relocating the 3910 closer to your modem/router/gateway, check the speed - try again.  If content loads, then bandwidth is the issue. 

Change your 2.4Ghz channel (manually configure it via your modem/router/gateway settings) to something other than what it is currently at, the 802.11 mode to b/g/n, and the channel bandwidth to 20Mhz - try again. 

Otherwise, try a range extender (or even a different/newer modem/router/gateway).

If your bandwidth is sufficient there may be another network-related cause - try temporarily connecting the 3910 to your phone/hotspot and loading content - if it loads, then its clearly a network/ISP related (if not bandwidth related) issue, and may require further investigation of your network/ISP configuration.

0 Kudos
BrianJacobs
Reel Rookie

1. Already tried step one. Tried it again, still nothing.

2. Everything's up to date but not OS11 up-to-date.

RokuOS 10.5.0 build 4208-51

Peacock Version 3.5 build 13

I have an older TV, that for a variety of reasons I want to keep, that's why I have this Roku and connect it via composite -- it's the only streaming option I've found that allows for a 4:3 picture on every app. I have gaming systems and a blu-ray player connected to it through a pretty elaborate HDMI-to-component signal switching system that work because both have aspect ratio settings but every other streaming device I've tried doesn't and so will display only 16:9 connected this way; I mention this because if you know one that does that would be a possible solution.

3. Kudos, would never have thought to try that and you were right it does work -- setting it to HD on the HDTV and reconnecting via composite -- only we go back to my issue in the previous paragraph. It now displays all content (not just Peacock) in 16:9. Given that I watch in bed without my glasses on, usually while falling asleep this is actually a sort-of solution long as I'm watching only Peacock but not at all ideal.

How is it the setting rather than the connection itself? I played with it enough to learn a composite setting running on an HDMI connection (at either aspect ratio) won't play but an HDMI setting on a composite connection will. The problem is the only option to change the aspect ratio is under a composite setting which won't work.

(4. Kind of irrelevant now but the HDTV I hooked it up to is next to the router where it had excellent signal strength and it made no difference)

0 Kudos
Scott315

I have the same issue. And it’s only on my older TV and only Peacock. And only when I attempt to stream on Demand on Peacock. I can watch channels on Peacock just fine. So it must be with app or the Roku device itself.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@BrianJacobs 

This solution is possible using quirks/limitations/bugs of RokuOS I discovered using/testing a 3910.  Its certainly not a perfect solution, but its currently the best one given the state of RokuOS/app development (especially for Composite-capable model output).

Yes, it does display at 16:9, but at least its using 1080p as the original source for downscaling to 480i, resulting in the best/better possible Composite output image quality (and even allows some apps to better display their UIs within the viewing area).

Morever, there are some (longstanding and recent) broken apps that dont properly output using the Composite setting (e.g. ABC, TBS), such that either they are zoomed in to 1/4 image viewport (upper left), or zoomed out to 1/4 screen usage (upper left) - by using the 1080p HDMI setting with Composite, it prevents these and any other apps from "misbehaving" in terms of their output (sidesteps the display mode bugs).

The reason this all works is due to longstanding specific bugs/limitations/design quirks of RokuOS for Composite-capable models coupled with the design of the models/SoCs.    If Roku were to fix these RokuOS bugs/limitations/quirks which are specific to Composite-capable models, it would preclude this solution (which addresses all sorts of different bugs/limitations/problems with both RokuOS and apps when using Composite-output).  (So I specifically avoid informing Roku about these Composite-related bugs so as to maintain this solution/workaround).

There are other more-recent bugs/quirks that can be taken advantage of as well:  The addition of AirPlay support for the 3910 in OS10.5 (less than a year ago) required updating/modifying the Miracast receiver app, which allows Composite output when screen mirroring for both AirPlay and Miracast (prior to the AP addition and MC changes, screen sharing was precluded with Composite output), despite the support articles claiming otherwise.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Scott315 

If you have a model 3910 using Composite output, use the solution provided in #3 (set the 3910 to 1080p manually using a HDMI connection, then switch the connection back to Composite).

0 Kudos
PC2022
Reel Rookie

Well, I have a composite Roku because my 1 and only TV is composite only, so the HDMI thing won't help me so far as I know.  I have tried deleting and reinstalling and signing in and out and am still getting the "No titles available for video format SD   -- OVP-00055" error. My other streaming apps, paid and free, work fine.  I am thinking of just deleting Peacock.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@PC2022 

Thats unfortunate - unless and until Roku/Peacock/others specifically address/fix their OS/apps for Composite output, thats the best solution/workaround. 

Getting Roku to fix an issue is very difficult in general, and even more so for models that dont have agent-assisted support (like the 3910)

Perhaps you can take your 3910 to a friend or relatives house and hook it up and make the settings change there, then bring it back home.

0 Kudos
PC2022
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the idea, but I think I will just give up on Peacock and delete it. I've found other places to see the shows that I was watching on it.

0 Kudos
MissouriTim
Binge Watcher

Brian, I'm in exactly the same circumstances as you, but with two older Standard Def TVs connected to Epress+ devices through the RCA jacks. I hadn't used Peacock since mid-March. I tried yesterday and got the same error messages over and over.

I have a hard time believing you and I suddenly developed the same equipment issues on our end. This must be something Peacock has done fiddling around with their code. I worked three different times with Peacock techs for hours jumping through their hoops and they exhausted all their possible problems on my end, and then said they would get their engineers working on a solution. I assume that means on their end, not hours.

I'm not buying new TVs until my two quit - just to receive Peacock. I can mirrorcast from my PC to both on the limited occasions I open Peacock (auto racing only - the rest is garbage). The NBC Sports and Peacock apps have been buggy since the get-go. If not for motorsports NBC would not get one penny of mine.

0 Kudos