Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marty75

Parental Controls NOT working

I setup a pin to restrict apps from being installed, restarted ROKU, but apps are still able to be installed without asking for a prompt

5 REPLIES 5
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Parental Controls NOT working

It has been a while since this subject has come up.

If I remember correctly, the PIN prevents apps from being installed from within the Roku's on-screen menu system, but does not prevent one from adding an app via the Channel Store accessed via computer/phone/tablet web browser.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
TayDKamps

I have the SAME problem- on my Roku tv and Roku device- I’ve set parental controls on- basically blocked everything and updated pin preferences with my account online to require a pin to download any channels- my kids are still able to download YouTube with no code or restrictions!

0 Kudos
renojim

@TayDKamps, are you saying that when you add Youtube (or any other channel/app) from "Streaming Channels" on your Roku device(s) you're not prompted to enter a PIN?  There was an issue where any PIN was accepted, but supposedly that has been fixed.  If your kids have access to your Roku account via the Roku website they will be able to add any channel/app they like (as well as change your PIN settings).

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
pythongirl

They can have access to absolutely everything from the Streaming Channels store. There is zero control over age appropriate content. Very reason I am getting rid of this TV. 

0 Kudos
renojim

@pythongirl, you can add a PIN account to your account at https://my.roku.com so that no channels/apps can be added without it.  I suppose they can still browse what's available, but they can't add anything they find.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos