Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UltraPerson
Channel Surfer

Paramount+ doesn't work in Chicago?

Hello! 

I have a 4800X - Roku Ultra hooked up to my internet and television. (I don't have a smart tv).

When I open the Paramount+ app on my Roku, I get the following message:

'Sorry, Paramount+ is not available in this region.'

Huh?

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Paramount+ app and saw the same message.

I did a soft reset of my Roku and tried to load Paramount+ app and saw the same message.

I live in the Chicago area. Why would the Paramount+ app not work on my Roku?

Has anyone else in the Chicago area encountered that strange message from the Paramount+ app?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Paramount+ doesn't work in Chicago?

Three possibilities that I can think of:

1. You're using a VPN or something else that masks your true location.
  2. Your Roku account isn't associated with the US.  Did you set up your Roku account somewhere else?
  3. Your ISP isn't assigning you an IP address that appears to be in Chicago or your IP address is mistakenly indicating that you're located in the wrong region.  IP address to location isn't an exact science.

If 1 or 2 apply, you'll have to resolve that problem.  For 3, check a site like https://www.iplocation.net/ to see where it thinks you're located.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
UltraPerson
Channel Surfer

I am not using a VPN. I set up my Roku and my Internet connection in Chicago a few years ago. The network settings of my Roku show my correct IP address.

0 Kudos
6E616D65
Roku Guru

You haven't answered number 3. Go to the URL provided and see where it shows your IP address located. Also try What is my IP and my location? - ipchecktool.com and any other location tools you can find, and pay close attention to the location indicated for both your IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. They might not agree with one another, and you don't know which is the data Paramount+ is relying on. Since Roku only fairly recently began to make use of IPv6 addresses, a mistaken location for an IPv6 address is something that wouldn't have been a problem for your Roku until now. And that's a problem FOR your Roku, not WITH your Roku (except for the fact that Roku hasn't made that address visible to users).

Whatever the results, take it up with Paramount+. I had the same problem with a different app a few years ago, and one or two companies showed my location to be half way across the country. Each of these companies can correct their records. Everyone's got me down to within a few feet now.

Typically I'd expect your error to indicate that you're outside the U.S. if all content is restricted. An error showing another U.S. city would result in the local station feed to be wrong. What does Paramount+ tell you?

0 Kudos
UltraPerson
Channel Surfer

Hmmm.

That website says my IPv6 address has 'no information.' 

My IPv4 address is thr Chicago area.

Perhaps the 'no information' for my IPv6 address is the problem.

0 Kudos
6E616D65
Roku Guru

Not unless it shows an IPv6 address without a location. No address as well as no location would mean either your provider or your local network or the device you're browsing with doesn't have IPv6 configured.

You could check if IPv6 works for you at Test your IPv6. (test-ipv6.com)

0 Kudos
UltraPerson
Channel Surfer

The link in your latest post says I will not be able to access IPv6-only sites. I guess it's not configured.

0 Kudos
6E616D65
Roku Guru

Not from whatever you used to reach that site, anyway (phone, computer?). Or your router, or your ISP. That's where Roku is deficient in only showing you your IPv6 address in one of their secret screens. Without checking there, you can't tell if the Roku is using the protocol.

Bottom line is Paramount+ should tell you what the problem is unless you prefer to discover it on your own.

0 Kudos
UltraPerson
Channel Surfer

My phone - using the same WiFi as my Roku - showed that screen. 

I will contact Paramount+ because I'm genuinely stumped.

Thank you for your help. 🙂

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.