Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbwksf
Binge Watcher

Paramount+ app versus "Paramoutn+ on the Roku Channel" and audio description

I subscribed to Paramount+ using the "Roku Channel" mechanism and have watched a number of shows.  However, this method does not pass audio description through for shows (like "1923") that I know have AD.  I have low vision and really need the AD.

I started the regular Paramount+ app on the Roku and was told that I had an account and just had to enter some personal info.  I was able to watch "1923" and "Top Gun:Maverick" with AD.  Great!  But, when I now go back to the Paramount+ app, it says "Get Started" and "Sign Out".  If I choose "Get Started" it tells me I have an account and to login.  But I am logged in.  If I log out and then log  back in (either using the on screen approach or the web site approach) I get logged in but still see the "Get Started" and "Sign Out" choices.   I can go back to "Paramount+ on the Roku Channel" but no AD.  What is going on here?

Bob Warren

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Paramount+ app versus "Paramoutn+ on the Roku Channel" and audio description

@rbwksf 

Thanks for the post.

If you have a subscription to Paramount+ through The Roku Channel, you will only be able to access Paramount+ content through The Roku Channel. If you wish to view the content directly through the Paramount+ channel, you will need a subscription through the channel provider.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rbwksf
Binge Watcher

Re: Paramount+ app versus "Paramoutn+ on the Roku Channel" and audio description

I see what you are saying.  However, why was I able to initially use the regular Paramount Plus app (with audio description) but then be shown "Get Started" and "You have an account"?

I guess more to the point: why does the "Paramount+ on the Roku Channel" not support audio description while the Paramount+ app does?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@rbwksf, while you're watching via The Roku Channel can you press the * button on the remote while the video is playing and choose a different audio track under the Accessibility settings?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
rbwksf
Binge Watcher

YEs, I have tried the "*" button while watching "Paramount+ on the Roku Chanel".  It just lists regular audio (and maybe Dolby? audio).  No mention of audio description there.  But, it I go to the same content on the Paramount+ regualar app, AD works just fine (on shows like "1923" that have it).

I guess I will cancel Paramount+ on the Roku Channel and subscribe with the Paramount+ app directly when the current subscription is up for renewal.

0 Kudos