Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UltramanNick
Reel Rookie

Older Roku - Cannot Connect To Roku Servers

Jump to solution

I found an older model Roku at a garage sale with its stubby remote and power cord. It powers up fine and connects to my home Wi-Fi.

However, on the initial set-up, it says "Cannot connect to Roku." I also tried on the home screen to get some streaming apps but it says nothing is available. 

Is this Roku just too old to use any more?

Jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Older Roku - Cannot Connect To Roku Servers

Jump to solution

The Roku DVP, model number N1000, was released in 2008 as a digital video player, developed along with Netflix for Netflix's newly-instituted streaming option.  Product development continued rapidly and the N1000 soon became obsolete.   It is no longer being supported and hasn't received a Roku operating system update since version 3.1 in late 2011.  At this writing current models are on version 11.0.  Few, if any, remaining streaming channels are written to be compatible with this player.  Even if you could get it connected there wouldn't be much you could do with it.

[Note: I originally said the current Roku OS version was 15.0.   I was thinking about some other unrelated software.  Roku is currently on 11.]

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If you can find a model number (usually 4 digits followed by R, X, or RW and typically molded into the bottom of the case) then someone might know.  It is possible for a Roku to be "too old" but there are other possible ways of not connecting.

0 Kudos
UltramanNick
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The model number on the back is "N1000" --- I think.

The serial number is 20FBCT002883

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Oh my - the first Roku from 2008.  I haven't seen that one mentioned here in some time.  Maybe someone will come along who knows more, but I'm not too hopeful on that.

0 Kudos
UltramanNick
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I guess that's why it was so cheap at the garage sale....Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The Roku DVP, model number N1000, was released in 2008 as a digital video player, developed along with Netflix for Netflix's newly-instituted streaming option.  Product development continued rapidly and the N1000 soon became obsolete.   It is no longer being supported and hasn't received a Roku operating system update since version 3.1 in late 2011.  At this writing current models are on version 11.0.  Few, if any, remaining streaming channels are written to be compatible with this player.  Even if you could get it connected there wouldn't be much you could do with it.

[Note: I originally said the current Roku OS version was 15.0.   I was thinking about some other unrelated software.  Roku is currently on 11.]

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
UltramanNick
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for all the information. 

0 Kudos