Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moleman_X
Binge Watcher

Re: New MAX app error: "There's a problem with your device setup"

This will be my final update, as I found a fix for the issue. 

Unfortunately, the fix is "buy a new Roku".

The Roku in our bedroom started giving messages about overheating, so we needed to replace it.  After waiting in vain for the Ultra to go on sale (really?  Not even for Prime day?), paid a full Benjamin for a new one.  Moved the 4800X into the bedroom (since we can access Max thru the smart TV) and installed the new 4802R in the home theater, and it plays Max just fine on that setup.

So there you go.  Your choices: Wait for HBO and Roku to put in the work to fix the issue, or replace the device.  Since my solution puts money in their pockets I wouldn't hold my breath.

0 Kudos
elf79
Reel Rookie

Hi John,

I’ve been experiencing this issue since HBO MAX became MAX in late May. I start a program - any program, it plays for less than one second (or not at all) and then tells me “There’s a problem with your device setup.” I’ve spent a lot of time going through all of the troubleshooting with both HBO and Roku. It’s been over three months and I still can’t watch MAX on my Roku. I feel as if I’m owed a replacement. 

To answer your questions:

• Roku device model: 4800X
  • serial number: X0100078Y879
  • device ID: S02A2158Y879
  • software OS/version: 12.0.0 build 4184-C2
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? Yes- MAX.
  • If so, what channel and what version or build is it? MAX, version 54.3, build 1
  • Tracker ID: 79-322-859
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing: I open the MAX app, I select any show and press play. A circle appears against a black screen - like the show is loading, then the error message pops up.

Please send me a device that works with MAX, or fix this issue - we’ve told you about the problem for months and there’s no fix. 

0 Kudos
mckbro

Similar issue on 2 of my Roku sticks. So no HDMA cable involved. Tries to load. Flashes and shows max screen again and then goes back to Roku Home Screen. Have removed and added the app back, no change. Ironically i can cast the app from my phone to both Roku streaming sticks.

0 Kudos
mckbro

First time posting, does Roku ever read and provide feedback?

0 Kudos
elf79
Reel Rookie

Nope, not a word from Roku! Looks like I won’t be buying devices from them anymore. 🤷🏻‍♀️

0 Kudos
Pinkdog

OMG!!! I had no idea that this issue has been going on for almost an entire year and Roku does have a solution for this frustrating problem. 

As I have been trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with why I can no longer access anything on MAX, I get a message that says that there is a problem with my device setup. And then I do a search and find all of your comments from the beginning of the year for the same problem, and now I'm dealing with the same thing in November. Ugh!

I only have one cable and one HDMI cord. It was working two days ago, and what the heck happened that it now it doesn't work.

I can get to MAX, however, it won't play anything more than 1 second as you all have experienced. 

Roku, you have a major fix on your hands and a bad product. I am notifying my management of this as they had Roku installed in each unit where I live. They need to let the residents know, buyer beware!

Since I can no longer watch anything on MAX, I'm contacting them to let them know that they are losing business due to this issue with Roku.

0 Kudos
ignat35

Same issue here. It is now December. I have a bedroom and a living room TV. Both have Roku sticks. The bedroom Roku started having this issue about a month ago with the "Sorry something went wrong message". Then about a week ago the living room Roku had this issue. I have tried all the general tricks. Restart Roku, Sign out/in to Max, Remove Max and reinstall max, adjust your display settings, restart the episode/movie rather than try to play from the middle and many combos of these things and nothing has worked for me.

0 Kudos