Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jd47
Channel Surfer

Re: Netflix outputs 2.0 instead of Dolby Digital (not DD+) on Streaming Stick+

Jump to solution

Tried that. Didn't change anything. The movie descriptors that come up from the Netflix app on the Roku include date, movie duration, rating, and video level, but no 5.1.  The same movies on the app built-in to my TV all have the same list plus 5.1. When I play the movie through the Roku, my receiver indicates PCM2.0 as its input signal. When I play the same movie through the TV app, my receiver indicates Dolby5.1. I can hear the difference. Also cannot get 5.1 from Disney + , but I do get 5.1 from HBOmax through the Roku.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Well, if you're getting 5.1 on HBO Max, then it's nothing to do with any settings of the Roku. I know you said it's a new Roku, but what is the model number? And to confirm, you are located in the US?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Obelix27
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

If its any help I gave up trying to get 5.1 on Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. on my Roku stick via an HDMI/SPDIF audio extractor into an old Rotel surround processor (RSP1068). I get 5.1 on Netflix on my Firestick via the same extractor so I use that.

0 Kudos
jd47
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes, I am reconciled to just getting Netflix in 5.1 with my TV app. Works fine. Unfortunately, my TV predates HBOmax and Disney+ and they don't make new apps available (otherwise I wouldn't even need the Roku). Fortunately, HBOmax on Roku is giving 5.1 audio (except one evening when it reverted to 2.0, but I think that was an HBO issue - it went back to 5.1 after a few hours). Very disappointed about the problem with Disney+.  I was looking forward to their Star Wars library in 5.1, but, so far, only getting PCM2.0.

0 Kudos
Obelix27
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The other thing I discovered recently is that Dolby ProLogic II works surprisingly well. Give it a go, you may well be surprised ..

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jd47 wrote:

Yes, I am reconciled to just getting Netflix in 5.1 with my TV app. Works fine. Unfortunately, my TV predates HBOmax and Disney+ and they don't make new apps available (otherwise I wouldn't even need the Roku). Fortunately, HBOmax on Roku is giving 5.1 audio (except one evening when it reverted to 2.0, but I think that was an HBO issue - it went back to 5.1 after a few hours). Very disappointed about the problem with Disney+.  I was looking forward to their Star Wars library in 5.1, but, so far, only getting PCM2.0.

You didnt mention how all your devices are connected together, but you most likely are connecting your Roku "stick" (didnt mention model, but none of the sticks have a Dolby decoder and cannot transcode DD+ to DD) through your TV, and your (6 year old) TV either doesnt support DD+ (which is what NF/D+ use) passthrough from HDMI to ARC/Optical, or it is misconfigured to allow it to do so.

Considering HBO Max uses either DD+ or DD (depends on system configuration), and you are able to get DD5.1, this would heavily suggest your TV supports DD but not DD+ passthrough from HDMI to ARC/Optical.

You can check your TV settings for misconfiguration, but most likely it lacks the DD+ passthrough support.

Your options are:

1) Connect your Roku directly to your AVR (assuming its connected via HDMI/ARC to your TV).

2) Get an audio extractor that supports DD+ to DD transcoding (these are more expensive, since they require a Dolby decoder license).

3) Get the 4800 (2020 Ultra) which has a Dolby decoder and can transcode DD+ to DD, and will allow you to get 5.1 from all apps (either using DD+ or DD).

4) Get a competitor's device with a Dolby decoder (e.g. FS4K, FS4K Max, TS4K, O4KSB)

UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

See post above

0 Kudos
jd47
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I just plugged the Roku directly into the AVR, picture going back to TV via ARC. Generally working, but the AVR still says it is getting PCM2.0 from the Roku on Disney. Have to admit some of the sound fields on the AVR are giving a pretty good sound (Star Wars). It sounds/feels like surround, but is it really?  HBOmax still shows 5.1 on the AVR. Netflix movies still don't have the 5.1 on their feature lists - that is really odd. Will have to live with it, I guess.

0 Kudos
Obelix27
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@UserOfStreamers wrote:

4) Get a competitor's device with a Dolby decoder (e.g. FS4K, FS4K Max, TS4K, O4KSB)

FS4K presumably is the Fire stick (yep - I do get 5.1 on Netflix).

But what is TS4K, O4KSB?

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jd47 wrote:

I just plugged the Roku directly into the AVR, picture going back to TV via ARC. Generally working, but the AVR still says it is getting PCM2.0 from the Roku on Disney. Have to admit some of the sound fields on the AVR are giving a pretty good sound (Star Wars). It sounds/feels like surround, but is it really?  HBOmax still shows 5.1 on the AVR. Netflix movies still don't have the 5.1 on their feature lists - that is really odd. Will have to live with it, I guess.

Apparently your Onkyo AVR (model unstated) is DD-only (no DD+ support).

You can check the detected audio support for any connection via Settings/Audio/Audio mode = ? or highlight Settings/Audio/Digital output format/Auto

If either/both show DD (and not DD+), your TV/AVR/etc doesnt have DD+ support.

Try connecting the SS both ways (TV or AVR) to see the result.

If your TV/AVR are DD-only (no DD+), consider my other suggestions (4800, HDMI audio extractor, competitor product with Dolby decoder).

Otherwise, make sure you dont have any Volume Mode enabled:  during playback of any content, press Options (*)/Volume mode=Off

0 Kudos