Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkbnj
Streaming Star

Re: Netflix freezes on Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R  any updates? Seems this issue is ignored without solution or explanation.

Billeh
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ive noticed on my Roku Ultra after about 10 pause/play button presses it finally plays what Im trying to watch.

It doesnt do it on my living room TV on Netflix, which is an LG smart TV, so its definitely something related to the Roku Ultra.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Billeh

Greeting from Roku Community. 

We're glad you are here so we can best assist you. May we ask, does the issue only occur on the Netflix channel or all channels on your Roku device? Have you tried to remove the channel and see if it helps? If you haven't tried it yet, you can remove and re-install the affected channel. 

Restart your device before adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System >  System restart.

Please keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Billeh
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Nimfa,

Its only Netflix that does this.  Reinstalling and rebooting doesnt help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Billeh

Thanks for the information. 

We appreciate you trying the suggested steps. I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to look into further. In the meantime, your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
1T9T9Z1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for letting me know about using the older model. I tried my oldest model, a 4660X2 and it does work with the Panasonic Plasma TC-P42X5. So that is the same work around that I have been using. I see someone mentioned clicking play/pause over and over, 10 times and it will play. I have not tried it, but I believe it. Seems like the same silliness as my memory card eject work-around that I mentioned previously. Anyways, sorry for the delays, just been a busy month for us with work, but I have been meaning to get back to you. I checked today and my newer models of the Roku Ultra still freeze on Netflix and Tubi. Maybe this Fall Roku will release another new model that will work? Seems that Netflix has to change something to fix this compatibility issue. I don't enough people are complaining about it for them to make the move.

0 Kudos
mkbnj
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

thanks to @1T9T9Z1  for my fix!

Turning off the HDMI control capability in the TV resolved the issue.

For my Panasonic model, that meant "CEC Function - on/off" and "Power Off Link - Yes/No" in the HDMI setting.

Roku team, this should be one of the scripted tasks to try on freezing issues.

0 Kudos
nealp
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

yes that works for me too!  how did you figure it out?

0 Kudos
1T9T9Z1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Honestly, it was just a hunch I had. I thought it was related to the HDMI compatibility, and went into video settings but saw nothing. When I went to the "setup" settings, I found some HDMI settings, tried them and they worked. The TV was working, but I did a factory reset on it, because I had changed some image settings and did not like them, so I did a factory reset and started all over again with default settings and went from there until I liked the image. Meanwhile, it kicked these two HDMI settings to YES and ON and in turn, caused the freezing with Netflix, and kickback with Tubi. The rest is history! Just glad I can watch on my Plasma again. 🙂 ~Jeff

UltraPerson
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Outstanding! I, too, have a Panasonic - that's 11 years old and changing those settings worked for my Netflix and YouTube issues with my Roku Ultra. 

You're the best!!!

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.