Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AirMojo
Streaming Star

Re: Media player won't work for my roku 3 after the last update

@atc98092okay... I guess I missed that !

0 Kudos
explor202
Binge Watcher

Confirmed: updating to v11.0.0 build 4184-04 on my Roku 3 resolved the issue. My 64GB USB drive is again recognized and usable. Thank you Roku for fixing this!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@new-user-12345 

Thanks for the post and providing us with your information.

I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rglover
Reel Rookie

NEWS FLASH!

I noticed another post about an update that fixed the problem so I checked my roku 3 and it still had the broken update (v11 build 4180), so on a whim I manually checked for an update and sure enough there was one. After manually updating to build 4184 the media player now recognizes my NTFS 1TB HDD and so far everything seems back to normal. Fingers crossed! I hope this will help roku reconsider the ramifications of pushing updates to unsuspecting users without warning. To be fair, roku is not the worst in the industry of constant updates that break more than they fix, and add useless 'features' that bloat and bog the works (think Microsloth, Crapple, Netflux, etc.). I guess it's about time to disconnect from the outside world and take a break from intruders.

0 Kudos
EvilBert1
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku 3 no longer recognizes Seagate external USB

4/26/22  I just upgraded to Build 4184 and my ROKU 3 recognizes my NTFS external hard drive again.  Thanks to the ROKU technical staff.  And, thanks to all the other users who called this matter to ROKU's attention.  I will be upgrading my home theatre later this year and ROKU products are once again on my list for consideration.

I was concerned about upgrading to a ROKU Ultra or better.  This appeared to be a software upgrade issue and I feared the problem would also occur on newer ROKU devices.  

0 Kudos
Teduardo
Binge Watcher

@explor202 wrote:

Confirmed: updating to v11.0.0 build 4184-04 on my Roku 3 resolved the issue. My 64GB USB drive is again recognized and usable. Thank you Roku for fixing this!

Worked for my #002 too. I'll update my #001 tomorrow after I wake up.

Don't know why #003 never caught the auto-update. Just as well. I only use two of them.

May as well keep it unplugged just in case some future update messes up my other two.

Thanks Roku, and everybody else.

Have A Great Day! Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Teduardo
Binge Watcher

@rglover wrote:

NEWS FLASH!

I noticed another post about an update that fixed the problem so I checked my roku 3 and it still had the broken update (v11 build 4180), so on a whim I manually checked for an update and sure enough there was one. After manually updating to build 4184 the media player now recognizes my NTFS 1TB HDD and so far everything seems back to normal. Fingers crossed! I hope this will help roku reconsider the ramifications of pushing updates to unsuspecting users without warning. To be fair, roku is not the worst in the industry of constant updates that break more than they fix, and add useless 'features' that bloat and bog the works (think Microsloth, Crapple, Netflux, etc.). I guess it's about time to disconnect from the outside world and take a break from intruders.

It would be nice if we could turn off Auto Updates. But if we could then at some point our devices may not work after a Roku Server update.

Ah, Yes! Micro$oft - Those Bastrads (that's a deliberate misspelling Smiley Wink) They are Always pushing their latest O.S. full of security holes. Then at some point my OS is not supported anymore.

I'm still using XP, and they will just about have to pry my cold, dead fingers off my keyboard before I upgrade. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@EvilBert1 wrote:

I was concerned about upgrading to a ROKU Ultra or better.  This appeared to be a software upgrade issue and I feared the problem would also occur on newer ROKU devices.  

This particular bug did not affect the newer players. My Ultra 4800 could still read NTFS drives without a problem. Hopefully this will remind the Roku developers to validate their updates on all of their older equipment, as they contain significantly different internal hardware.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Rick_Dagless_MD
Reel Rookie

Myself and my Roku 2 box are all updated and Media Player and my files all seem to work nicely, though I'm having to fast forward to where I was in the last film I was watching.

Thanks for all involved for resolving this issue.
0 Kudos
AirMojo
Streaming Star

@atc98092 

Well, I updated one of my Roku 3 devices this morning, and it updated and works fine with my 2TB external hard drive now.

But I tried updating my other Roku3, that was still only updated to Software Version 10.5.0, Build 4208 (so it was working fine with the USB external drives, but it did not update to the newest Software (version 11)... when I try the manual System update, and it does a "Check Now", it says that "All software is up to date."... I have tried several times, but I get the same results.

Seems that the last actual successful update was Dec 10... and probably why it never automatically updated to Version 11.

I realize this is probably a different issue or bug, but I'm posting about it anyways... here are some photos of the screens... Roku 3 Basement System Info-1.JPGRoku 3 Basement System Info-2.JPGRoku 3 Basement System Info-3.JPG

0 Kudos