Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaelhroe
Channel Surfer

MeTv, Antenna TV and H&I TV

Why can't Roku get some good family TV stations like MeTV, Antenna TV and H&I Tv?  I know that it takes time to work out contracts, but i really wonder if anyone is working on it, since these channels are free on most Antennas.  The problem with that is that you can lose the channels with bad weather.  

Another problem is that when i look at an App like TUBI and others i may find a movie to watch listed as the third or fourth recommended but when i go to another tv to load it up it may be the thirdth or not even listed.  Why aren't they all in the same order in all Apps?

15 REPLIES 15
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: MeTv, Antenna TV and H&I TV

@michaelhroe 

Although not free, both H&I and MeTV are available through FrndlyTV. (40 channels package) https://try.frndlytv.com/

Didn't see any streaming services that carry AntennaTV though.

-----

Many of the free channels/apps like Roku Channel, Tubi, Pluto, and Plex have a large selection of family programming/older shows in their respective LiveTV sections. (as well as the on-demand library).  If you are new to streaming, I think the more you explore the different free channels/apps, you will find "similar" content to those available on the OTA stations you mentioned above.

Most of my viewing is through these free channels/apps and, of course, using an Antenna for the OTA.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

mop_891
Roku Guru

@michaelhroe 

my $.02 someone did set up a "free" service that got MeTV. It was even available on ROKU. Metv's owners found out and it was gone. Turns out the guy said he did  but, did not have permission to stream Metv.

Here's what happened:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MeTV/comments/r2gi8c/roku/?rdt=54711

0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

I'm not sure why OTA (over the air) diginets (as MeTV & others) can't be streamed on free apps as they are commercial driven.  I'm in a Remote area of my DMA which provides protection to Canada, plus I have blockage as the signals come in at a low angle & are blocked by a ridge, thus I have reception issues since we switched over to ATSC1 in 2009.  This has gotten progressively worse since Fedzilla sold off the tops of the bands in the last 2 incentive auctions to Cellco.  Band is entirely too crowded, no allocations in my area to move forward to ATSC3 signals which apparently are more robust.

Free2View filled in that void, yet gone, guess I will not be watching commercials either, whether from WJLP or my local affiliate when the reception is poor which is quite often.

Never had reception issues in the Analog (NTSC) days. 

Note Comet is one diginet that is available.

yoga-fitness
Reel Rookie

my $.02 someone did set up a "free" service that got MeTV. It was even available on ROKU. Metv's owners found out and it was gone. Turns out the guy said he did  but, did not have permission to stream Metv.

Here's what happened:

yogafitness

0 Kudos
mop_891
Roku Guru

@yoga-fitness 

@RokuAbhay  spam here copied MY post.

HOW DARE YOU COPY MY POST TO STICK IN YOU SPAM LINK?!?

You have been reported!

0 Kudos
mop_891
Roku Guru

@Bismarck318 

I'm not 100% sure but, I think is does have to do with the ads. Streaming services want their ads to be shown, if it's going to be free of charge. They don't get paid for the OTA ads. They'd have to insert their own ads and the OTA station does not want that. Their advertisers would have a fit if their ads got preempted. 

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

The other issue is that many OTA stations may have contracts with these networks that prevent out-of-market viewing on a TV (There is a MeTV app for Android.) It's possible Frndly and others may actually pay a small fee to some stations as part of their carriage agreements.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Basically, the copyright owners get to set whatever terms they like, and then you (and middlemen) get to decide whether you like that deal.  If they want fees AND commercials AND want to display their shows upside-down, then that’s their choice.  Often deals are complex with time limits, market limits, what “package” a channel shall be placed in, and what channels you have to buy along with it, etc. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

@mop_891 Sure it is some legality, though carriage is mentioned as well. Most of the ads are networkwide with only a few that are actually local, & many of these have informercials as well. 

I have issues with my local carrier of MeTV & Antenna diginets, which are both on Hi VHF physical channels, & the MeTV carrier also is drawing interference from a distant Canadian Station.  My Retro & Bounce affiliates (although on UHF) moved to transmitters 50+ miles away.   

I just live in a poor area (corner) of My DMA, & do not have a second DMA to pull from being on the border.  I'm not about to purchase packages for these as they should actually be OTA.   Since the DTV transition, & especially since the last repack in extreme days when reception is very poor, I don't have access to local broadcast news. 

Edit: Radio must be entirely different than TV with apps like MyTuner & iHeart, as it allows content to be streamed out of market.   

0 Kudos