Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mb236

Re: Max Subtitles/Closed Captions not working

I started a program then paused.  Press *  then a window appears with Options, scroll down to Accessibility and captions and select right arrow for additional choices, then scroll to Captioning Track and right arrow again to select alternate languages.

0 Kudos
HAVOK3
Reel Rookie

Max had an update and the captions work now

0 Kudos
Mguy
Channel Surfer

Hi Kash,

Closed captions are now working for me. They started working after I found a show offering Spanish. I changed the language to Spanish and back to English and they started working. Also, the Max app was upgraded to 54.3 Build 1. Roku model 3920X - Roku Premiere. Serial number YH00GG254490.  Device ID K4209G254490. Software Version 12.0.0 build 4184-91. This error was occurring only on the MAX app. If it happens again I will get the tracker number. Right now, closed captions have been staying on since the MAX app upgrade. 

kirala
Channel Surfer

The new Max update to 54.3 Build 1 seems to have fixed the problem for me, so far, fingers crossed. Will repost here if it comes back.

0 Kudos
Nanad914

I am having the same problem. On my smart TV there is no problem but on my other TV I use a roku. All other streaming apps have cc except Max. No matter what I do, nothing works.

0 Kudos
Mguy
Channel Surfer

On the one that is failing, check the MAX app level. Max  app 54.3 Build 1 looks to fix the issue. You can also try flipping the language to Spanish and back to English. 

0 Kudos
JamesLundblad
Reel Rookie

Same hear, The Thaw, English subtitles not working, can't bare to watch it dubbed, so just admiring the performances and production while guessing what's happening.

0 Kudos
JamesLundblad
Reel Rookie

Removing and reinstalling the app worked for me but initially only had English dubbed, Polish and English subtitles showed up later. There appeared to be an app crash in there too.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JamesLundblad,

Greetings and welcome to the Roku Community!

We see that you've performed a great troubleshooting step to solve the issue with closed captions on MAX. However, we have noted that there is still an issue with the channel regarding a crash. Would you mind giving us more details about that so we'll be able to identify the main issue?

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JamesLundblad
Reel Rookie

I rebooted my Samsung TV, removed MAX, added back MAX, opened MAX, program The Thaw was initially in English (dubbed), not option for Polish, I think I exited the program (not the App), now there was Polish and selected english subtitles, english subtitles appeared but froze after a short period, same dialog displayed , audio/video continued, very odd, then the app exited to the Roku Channel page for MAX (from which it was launched). I launched MAX and all was fine for the remainder of the program. Maybe a watchdog fired due to the frozen subtitles.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.