Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UncannyAnny
Reel Rookie

Re: Max Subtitles/Closed Captions not working

So when I tried to switch to the Spanish Captions from within the show I was watching, it said only English was available.  I switched to another show and was able to switch to another version of the English subtitles from within that show and that worked.  It doesn't look like the language chosen made the difference, just choosing ANY other caption language works.  You can then switch back to English if that's what you want and it should work after that.

0 Kudos
Rubidimund
Reel Rookie

This worked for me. Obviously a Max issue, not Roku. Thanks!

0 Kudos
oppositegirl1
Reel Rookie

My problem with Max is on the Roku 3820X streaming stick 4k. I just tried the fix where you turn off the captions option within the Roku settings.  Then go to Max, load a show, and turn on the captions.  It worked.   Didn't have the issue with Max on my other Roku (4210X, Roku 2) or the laptop.

0 Kudos
oppositegirl1
Reel Rookie

P.S. After trying the Roku settings fix, when I closed the app and turned it on later, the closed captioning wasn't working again.   Have to turn the captioning off on the Roku settings each time.   So I tried switching the language to Spanish in a different show, because the one I was watching didn't have the option. The captions began working.  Then turned it back to English.  I can now get in and out of the MAX app and switch to different shows, switch from captions "on always" to "replay," and it still works.   Odd fix, but at least for now it's working. 

ntbone

The Max Apps on all platforms, including the browser, is garbage.  They had great apps with great captions/subtitle support when it was HBO.  Its unacceptable that rebranding all of their apps some how also required them to break/remove functionality.   Broken for me as well and so far attempts to get it to work have failed.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ntbone,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand the issue you're having with the MAX channel's closed captions not working. You can reach out to MAX directly and inquire further about the issue to resolve it. Most channels on the Roku platform are designed and maintained by the channel providers themselves.

If there's anything we can further assist you with aside from this, please let us know.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
garygNC
Reel Rookie

LOL MAX support is less than useless. They *almost* admitted it's their issue, saying their development teams are "looking into it" and that I should keep an eye out for an app update in coming days. Not holding my breath!

Cheesemelt

Same issue here, can’t get any of the suggestions to work. About ready to cancel the Max subscription, plenty of other options out there. 

Mguy
Channel Surfer

I tried changing the language to Spanish and back to English. I had to go to 2 different MAX programs to find one with a non-English option.  This did work on 2 programs over 2 days. 

0 Kudos
siskiyous
Binge Watcher

worked for me, TYVM

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.