Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Local channel from other area

@AvsGunnar  I believe she was watching  Hawaiian local content from within the free Roku channel. Probably using the live tv section of the Roku channel. I assume. But it isn’t clear. I’m sure Amazon has a similar app she can use or the one I linked him/her too

0 Kudos
Olahou
Channel Surfer

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it to me.  I really appreciate it.  Up until this past Christmas, I didn't even have a smart tv.  My son bought me a really inexpensive one just so I could see if it was something that I might want to invest in a better one.  I didn't even realize it was an Amazon connected tv until you guys pointed that out to me.  It came from Best Buy.  I am slowly learning about what all it does.  I did find the Hawaii News Now app that I was able to get on my phone so will be able to watch the festival and mirror it on my tv.  Again, I really appreciate your explanation and for you taking the time to tell me how things work.  I will learn, it will just take me longer.  🙂  My son is still trying to explain what I can do with this TV as he has added me on to all his "accounts" (I can't even remember all of them.  I think things like Disney +, espn + and some others )  

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Olahou  unless the previous TV you had was older than 20 years it most likely was a smart TV. By smart TV all it means is has apps. I have a 16 year old TV and it’s still a smart TV. I sent you a link that should allow you to download the Hawaiian news app onto your fire TV so you don’t have to mirror it. You should be able to go inside the Amazon store on your fire TV and search for Hawaiian news. Once you find it then add it to your fire TV

0 Kudos
Olahou
Channel Surfer

As I said, it is hard to provide the necessary info that someone smart like you needs when I don't understand what it is that you need to know since I have no idea what it is that I need.  Oh well!  I have since found the Hawaii News Now app for my phone so will watch it that way and mirror it on my TV.(I didn't even know that was possible until just a couple months ago.  LOL)   I didn't even realize that the TV that I have is an Amazon TV until you pointed that out.  All I know was that my son ordered it from Best Buy as a gift at Christmas telling me that it was a "beginner" one for me to see if I wanted to invest in a better smart TV later.  I am still learning.  I probably won't ever understand it all, but I am trying.  

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Olahou  here are instructions on how to download apps to your fire TV straight from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GRDR6KJPL2FT6YHS

0 Kudos
Olahou
Channel Surfer

Yeah, the tv that I had was one of the very first HD tv's that came out way back in probably 1998 or 2000.  It was not a smart tv, it wasn't even really what you would call an HD tv as it has the, I guess you would call them spotlights??  LOL It weighed about 100 pounds and they had to come clean those tubes/lights every year.  Like I said.... OLD!  But little by little, I am getting more into these fancy things.  🙂  

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Olahou  I’m not that young. I’m 55. But I take a lot of time learning and researching. After all I am an aerospace engineer. Check out the link I just posted to help you install and download apps onto your fire TV device such as Hawaiian news, Netflix, or Hulu. 

A couple of years ago I bought my mother a TCL Roku TV. I set it all up and showed her how to use it. She watches all her local news and local channels using YouTube TV. I made sure she was fully aware how everything works before she was on her own. She’s 82

Olahou
Channel Surfer

🙂  I have 20 years on you and was NOT an engineer, but was an accountant.  Now if you want help with your taxes or investments, I can help.  But technology, nope.. But little by little, I am learning out of necessity.  Thanks.  And I did try to find the Hawaii News Now app on my tv before I asked in here and it didn't show it was available.  So I will just mirror it off my phone.  

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

TurboTax does my taxes easy as 123

0 Kudos
Olahou
Channel Surfer

Which is why I am now retired.  🙂