Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Olahou
Channel Surfer

Local channel from other area

Is it possible to get a local channel from an area other than where you live?  I moved from Hawaii to Georgia but would like to get the Hawaii News Network where I am living now. 

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Local channel from other area

Can you elaborate on which Roku device you own? Is it a Roku TV or a Roku device? How were you getting locals when you lived in Hawaii?  There is a Hawaii News channel for Roku.

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/f3de43f7519640b081c0757d2f1c04ce/hawaii-news-now

0 Kudos
Olahou
Channel Surfer

I get Roku through my Fire TV.  In Hawaii, the Hawaii News Channel was there when you looked for local news channels.  

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

You get Roku through your Fire TV? You mean you had the Roku Channel on your FireTV? So your not even using a Roku device correct? So your issue is with Amazon and there FireTV correct? If your speaking about the Roku channel itself it provides locals based on your IP address and zip code. Why don’t you search for a Hawaii news channel on your FireTV? We really can’t help you here. It would’ve helped if you said you had a fire TV device in the first place.  

0 Kudos
Olahou
Channel Surfer

Well, excuse me for asking a question that I didn't know the answer to.  I am sorry that I am not as smart as you are, but I am 75 years old and just trying to learn things.  I was just wanting to watch the Merry Monarch Festival and was trying to figure out how to do that.  I knew that I got the Roku channels on my tv, but didn't realize I had to have a special device, that is why I asked the question.  

0 Kudos
Olahou
Channel Surfer

Putting others down when they ask a question that they don't know the answer to is not very helpful.  I may not be technologically smart, but at least I know how to spell "their" and "you're" instead of there and your so guess we all have our specialties.   

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Olahou  No one was putting you down. But it helps to provide all the necessary information up front first. No one knows you have a FireTV device. This is a Roku community. So it’s under the assumption you are using a Roku device. If you stated “When I lived in Hawaii I was using the Roku Channel on my FireTV device. I was able to watch local Hawaiian channels using the Roku channel on my FireTV. Now I moved to Georgia. Can I still watch Hawaiian local stuff on the Roku channel using my FireTV? Thanks”

If you told me that I could have helped you. Either way if you want to watch Hawaiian local stuff on your FireTV then search the Amazon App Store for something Hawaiian news related. Here is a link

https://www.amazon.com/Raycom-Media-Inc-Hawaii-News/dp/B0756R2X9H

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Olahou  Here is how to watch the Merry Monarch Festival. You also never mentioned that you wanted to watch a specific event 

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/04/19/ready-2022-merrie-monarch-festival-heres-how-watch-air-onli...

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Olahou wrote:

Well, excuse me for asking a question that I didn't know the answer to.  I am sorry that I am not as smart as you are, but I am 75 years old and just trying to learn things.  I was just wanting to watch the Merry Monarch Festival and was trying to figure out how to do that.  I knew that I got the Roku channels on my tv, but didn't realize I had to have a special device, that is why I asked the question.  

Some streaming platforms also offer apps that work on other platforms. However, this only gets you the app-related content, not the whole platform of content.

For example, Apple TV is an app, and there is an Apple TV platform that runs on an Apple TV device. You can install Apple TV app on Roku, Fire TV, and so on, but you only get Apple content, not all of the Apple TV apps and that content.

Likewise, Prime Video is Amazon's app. It will run on Roku, Apple TV, and Google/Android TV (think of them as the same thing). You can get Amazon content, but not all of the apps that are available from Amazon, unless you have an Amazon device.

Same thing with Roku. Roku Channel is simply an app that will run on the various platforms, but doesn't give you full access to Roku apps. The Hawaii News app mentioned is an example. That will run on Roku devices. If Hawaii News makes an app for Fire TV, or for Apple TV, or for Android/Google TV, then you could get it there, too. But the Roku Channel app doesn't open up the thousands of Roku apps to you. And that's how it is for all of the platforms that have similarly names apps.

Since you've chosen Fire TV as your platform of choice, check the Amazon app store, and Fire TV support Websites for additional help with that.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Olahou 

Other streaming services, devices, and some smart TVs allow the Roku Channel to be installed. (this is content and programming on the Roku Channel).  You can also watch the Roku Channel online (https://therokuchannel.roku.com/).

The above does not give the user the same access to the other Channels/apps available on the Roku platform (as a whole) that requires a Roku device or RokuTV.

However, many of the other streaming services, devices, and smart TVs do allow you to download the same apps that are available to Roku users. (these apps are just specifically coded for the particular device - cannot use apps developed/coded for Roku on a Firestick, and vice-versa).  Platform-specific apps.

As indicated above, looks like the event you are looking for can be watched by installing the "Hawaii News Now" app to your FireTV.  Since you also have the web browser as part of FireTV, can also watch the livestream through Hawaii News Now embedded video player dedicated to the event in their website. (https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/merriemonarch/).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102