Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SassKwatch
Channel Surfer

Local Channels via Hulu different through Roku vs Hulu app on pc

When I launch Hulu (Live) via Roku on my TV, the Live 'Local' channels available are different than if I launch the ***Hulu app on my pc***. 

The locals available via Hulu app on pc are those I would expect to have available. And when I initially installed Roku and accessed Hulu Live, those same channels were available. But sometime in the last month (+ or -), things changed.

If it helps, I am approx 25mi south of St Louis, MO and the local channels I would expect to have should come from there. But when I launch Hulu via Roku, the local channels available are out of Cape Girardeau, MO...roughly 80-90mi south of STL.

The Roku & TV setup and the laptop pc with Hulu app are in the same room of the same house and go through the same wifi network.

Why are the  Roku provided 'locals' incorrect and different from those available on the pc via the Hulu app???

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Local Channels via Hulu different through Roku vs Hulu app on pc

You'd have to ask Hulu.  Roku has nothing to do with the Hulu app or the vast majority of other apps that run on the Roku platform.  There is a place to enter a ZIP Code on Roku devices (Settings->System->ZIP Code), but I've yet to figure out what it does.  If it does solve your problem, be sure to let us know.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
SassKwatch
Channel Surfer

Did you read my message? The *only* time I have trouble with the local channels is when I access Hulu from within the Roku environment.

When I access Hulu outside the Roku environment, I  get the local channels I expect to get.

If I only have trouble when I go through  Roku, why would I ask Hulu to resolve the issue?

Your attention in this matter would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
SassKwatch
Channel Surfer

In addition...,, I turn on my tv and access my various streaming suppliers via a Roku remote....which launches Roku software. And it is from within that Roku environment that I select Hulu to launch.

So please don't tell me Roku has nothing to do with these apps.

I've already tried changing the zip code in the **Roku** settings and it did nothing. 

0 Kudos
renojim

As I already stated, Roku has absolutely nothing to do with the Hulu app.  I can't state it any more clearly than that.  Only someone with inside information about how the app operates can figure out what's wrong and that would be the developer -  Hulu LLC.

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/f76641b3d5ac45cfde74ee8361bda4bc/hulu

0 Kudos
SassKwatch
Channel Surfer

How do I get in touch with someone else. 

Roku may have nothing to do with the Hulu app, but it absolutely does have something to do with getting me (or any customer) linked to Hulu. And it's entirely possible that Roku is supplying the 'location' info that is being  read to supply 'local' channels.

You already mentioned you didn't understand what purpose the ZipCode setting in Roku settings served. I'll bet you dollars to donuts it's there precisely to resolve instances just like this. But isn't working as desired.

Again...and I can't say this any  more clearly....***I have no trouble*** acquiring the correct local channels for Hulu when I access it from outside the Roku environment (my pc with Hulu app installed). It is ***ONLY*** when I access Hulu through Roku that issues arise. 

I don't know how to say that any more clearly..... and would appreciate if you let me know how to contact a Roku employee who supports this aspect of Roku.

0 Kudos
renojim

Good luck with that.  Roku support starts at https://support.roku.com/contactus.  If you're fortunate enough to reach a human, they will most likely tell you exactly what I've been telling you.  You're better off trying to reach a human at Hulu which I understand is equally as difficult.  I can't emphasize it enough - your beef is with Hulu.

tcerny75

Did you get it figured out?  I am curious as I have the same issue.  ROKU has issue with local stations and has worked for 5 yrs, now in the last week lost local and now have IOWA stations vs. Central Nebraska.  Only issue is when I go through ROKU.  Changes to Zip Code in Roku do not fix the issue.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @SassKwatch @tcerny75!

Welcome and thank you for raising your concern here in the Roku Community.

We appreicate you reaching out for support and we regret to hear about the experience. 

In this case, it is highly suggested to raise your concern to the channel provider directly as this is an isolated case within their channel inside the Roku streaming platform. It is also worth taking note that channel providers, such as Hulu, are the ones who provided, maintained, and updated their app on the Roku streaming platform. 

You can visit Hulu's official Support website or directly contact their line at 1-888-265-6650.

Hope this clears everything out!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ld17

Just wanted to jump in here and share my experience. I had the same issue - local channels correct everywhere except on the Roku, so I truly assumed it was a Roku issue. It was not. I jumped onto a chat with Hulu support and explained the situation. They were able to update my address on their end, and everything is back to normal.