Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Semiret
Reel Rookie

Hulu not playing shows or movies

When I try to use Hulu all the menus and features work fine and the TV is connecting to Hulu, but when I try to play a movie or a show the system kicks me out of Hulu and returns to the ROKU main menu.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Hulu not playing shows or movies

Hi @Semiret

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Does the issue only occur on Hulu or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected channel Hulu and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Semiret
Reel Rookie

I got it working again.  It was only doing it to Hulu.  The strange thing was that all features and menus were working in Hulu, just it would not play anything.  I had tried turning off the TV, deleting and replacing the Hulu button on the Roku menu and a few other things.  None helped, but when I unplugged the TV (I have a Roku TV) for 10 min and forced the RV to rediagnose everything Hulu started working again. Don't understand it, but I will accept it...

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Semiret

Thank you for the post.

We understand that it can be frustrating when certain features are working but playback is not. It seems that the issue was specific to Hulu, as other features and menus were functioning correctly.

It's great that you took several troubleshooting steps, such as turning off the TV, deleting and replacing the Hulu button on the Roku menu, and exploring other options. However, it appears that the ultimate solution was unplugging the TV for 10 minutes and allowing the Roku TV to rediagnose everything. This action seems to have resolved the issue and restored Hulu's functionality.

While the exact cause of the problem may remain unclear, sometimes power cycling or reinitializing the TV can help resolve certain technical glitches.

We appreciate your patience and willingness to explore different solutions until the issue was resolved. If you encounter any further difficulties or have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Our team is here to assist you.

Thank you for choosing Roku, and we hope you continue to enjoy your streaming experience with Hulu and other channels.

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos